Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Nevis/St. Kitts hotels (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/nevis-st-kitts-hotels-542583/)

JeanH Jul 8th, 2005 08:32 AM

Nevis/St. Kitts hotels

I have plane tickets (using FF miles) on hold for a seven night stay, flying into St. Kitts and home from Nevis. I'm thinking three nights on St. Kitts and four on Nevis.

We are really not resort people, like small hotels on the beach, or perhaps a condo. Glancing through the condos, it appears most are weekly rentals or just appeal to me. So, it's back to hotels.

For St. Kitts, I'm thinking Timothy Beach Resort, for sure don't want the Marriott, any other ideas.

For Nevis, either Oualie Beach Resort or Inn at Cades Bay.

Thanks in advance for any input. Jean

Sunnyboy Jul 8th, 2005 09:03 AM

On Nevis both Oualie Beach and Inn at Cades Bay will meet your requirements. You can read unbiased comments about both places plus get loads of useful information about Nevis at www.Nevis1.com. Also both places have their own web-sites: www.cadesbayinn.com and www.oualiebeach.com. Oualie Beach has numerous beach front cottages that are litteraly steps from the sand. FYI - their "beachview" cottages at Oualie are actually just about 30 feet or so further set back from the beach - think of a checker board with the first row of black squares being beachfront and the second row of black squares being the beach view - not much different between the two. Inn at Cades Bay has a series of small one room cottages on a low bluff over looking the water. It's a short walk, 1 to 3 minutes depending on the cottage, to the beach area. Oualie Beach has lighter sand, somewhat shallower water near shore, and calmer water than you'll find at the Inn at Cades Bay. The beach at Oualie is less than 1/4 mile in length while the beach at Inn at Cades Bay stretches about 1 to 1 1/2 miles south of the hotel. You'll have access to lots of watersports at Oualie while there's none at Inn at Cades Bay. Oualie has a full service restaurant while the one at Inn at Cades is not open all the time. Both are nice medium priced hotels. Hope you enjoy your trip.

MIM04 Jul 8th, 2005 09:24 AM

Jean - Timothy Beach on St Kitts would be a great place to stay. The accommodations are condo-like on the beach. I think that Timothy Beach would fit the non-resort feel you seem to be looking for... it is a very laid-back and casual place. Actually my mother stays there often.

For Nevis, I think Cades Bay or Oualie would be a good fit for you. It is always nice to be on the beach. Inn at Cades Bay is very close to Gallipot and Bananas Bistro which are both great restaurants. (Not sure when you are traveling but Bananas is actually closed for the season starting in August and re-opening in Nov. at a new location.)
Neither Oualie nor Cades bay are luxury properties by any means, but they are clean and simple and have everything it seems you would need.
Have a great time!

Sunnyboy Jul 8th, 2005 09:47 AM

FYI - Gallipot is also closed for the season (either already closed or within the next week) and usually reopens sometime in October. It's a really nice casual beachfront (very good food) restaurant/bar with a great Roast Beef and Yorkshire Pudding brunch every Sunday that's extremely popular with the ex-pats.

MIM04 Jul 8th, 2005 10:25 AM

Sunnyboy - thanks for pointing that out. I am not sure when the OP trip is...

Jean - not sure how soon your trip is... If you are going in season, I would second Sunnyboys recommendation for their roast beef. It is very good!

iw Jul 8th, 2005 10:31 AM

I just returned from St. Kitts and Nevis. I don't know if you have read my trip report, but it's on this site. We stayed at Oualie and had a fantastic time. The food was wonderful and the restaurant is open all day long. As mentioned above, it is not a luxury property, but charming in its own way. I thought the rooms were large with an average to small bathroom. The property had everything that we needed. The water is very calm, which is great to cool of in. We did stay at the Marriott at St. Kitts, which was super nice, but if you are not into big, it might not be good for you. Have fun!!!!

lizpereira Jul 8th, 2005 12:28 PM

You might find www.myislands.myeyez.net a useful web site.

In St. Kitts there is SeaLofts and Island Paradise condos that are nice. (Located on the Atlantic side)

JeanH Jul 11th, 2005 12:34 PM

Thanks so much everyone. I made reservations at Timothy Beach and Oualie Beach. Now, I just have to wait until January.....

Jean

lizpereira Jul 12th, 2005 05:32 AM

Have a great time at Timothy Beach Resort (TBR) and be sure to visit Shiggidy Shack next door.

bevoblake Jul 12th, 2005 07:06 AM

I stayed at Timothy Beach just over a year ago. It was very pleasant but definitely not as nice as the Marriott (in terms of quality of room, not necessarily ambience). The Marriott also had a significantly better beach. The Shiggidy Shack next to Timothy Beach is a great place to go (a lot of locals who will tell you all sorts of stories about the island). It's also fun to have a car so that you can see the Brimstone Hill fort (I think I've got the name right) and (especially if you're at Timothy) so that you can drive to the beaches that are just over the hill from Timothy beach and the Marriott (they are the most beautiful on the island, in my opinion). Last note on the resort comparison, I thought the restaurant at Timothy Beach was fun but not quite as good as the food at Shiggidy Shack next door (probably both better than the Marriott).
Recap of resorts
Marriott:
Nicer rooms
Nicer beach
Plenty of glitz (plus for some, minus for others)
Timothy:
Better restaurants
Get to stay on the beach that an English military guy named Timothy used to land his troops and retake the island (I think from the French). St. Kitts had quite the illustrious past due to its sugar cane-growing abilities.

lizpereira Jul 12th, 2005 10:31 AM

Be sure to also visit Turtle Beach, located on the southeast peninsula. www.turtlebeach1.com

Unfortunately South Friars in closed see http://www.myislands.myeyez.net for more information. Shipwrecks bar is still open.