Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Nevis or Turks and Caicos or St. Barths? Or somewhere else? (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/nevis-or-turks-and-caicos-or-st-barths-or-somewhere-else-984576/)

pcolom1 Jul 9th, 2013 01:26 PM

Nevis or Turks and Caicos or St. Barths? Or somewhere else?

I have read a lot of great info on here but I was hoping for some direct help in trying to decide where to go. I think I have narrowed it down to Nevis or Turks and Caicos or St. Barths, but am open to other suggestions. Here are the things we are most interested in doing. Would greatly appreciate any thoughts that anyone might have.

Basically what I am looking for :
- An awesome beach

- Pretty good to VERY good snorkeling (I don't dive, so even if the diving is amazing, it doesn't matter to me) but would like to snorkel for a full day maybe

- A few good local restaurants

- A few good beach bars

- As for the hotel.....I like a nice hotel with good beach chairs and beach service. I don't mind if the hotel is expensive as long as it is as nice as you would expect it to be for the price

RoamsAround Jul 9th, 2013 02:29 PM

For what it is worth snorkeling is almost non-existent on Nevis so if that's a high priority you will be very disappointed. The beaches on Nevis, while nice, don't compare to the ones on the St. Barth's or on Providenciales's ( which I suspect is what you mean when you say Turks & Caicos).

I think St. Barth's ticks all the boxes on your wish list - some good snorkeling, some of the best restaurants in the Caribbean, plenty of beach bars and multiple beaches.

Look no further, St. Barrh's is waiting for you.

Jimmie Jul 10th, 2013 04:11 AM

If you are open to other suggestions, check out Virgin Gorda in the BVI (like Little Dix Bay, nail bay, and Mango Bay hotels) and St. John USVI (Caneel Bay).

blamona Jul 10th, 2013 04:19 AM

Roams, for once I don't agree with you! ;-)

St. Barth's snorkeling is just okay. Beaches are just okay. What St. Barth's to me offers is atmoshphere, very "current" very chic. and amazing restaurants. Beaches have turquoise water, but not blinding white sand and neon aqua as other islands. Great people watching, especially celebrities. Hilly and upscale, least crime in Caribbean. Water not as clear as TCI. Harder to get to-fly into St. Martin, then tiny plan to St. Barth (of what an adventure landing that is, but very cool!) or ferry, which if sea sickness is not a fun ride. Although French, it still has a "Caribbean" flair.

Personally I feel Provo (Turks and Caicos) offers the best of what you seek:

Good off-the-beach snorkeling, nice snorkel all day trips (check out Big Blue)

Great hotels at different price ranges, much less expensive that St. Barth. Beach service at Sands Resort, Regent Palms, Grace Bay Club, Gansevoort, Seven Stars. (for snorkeling I would stay at either Regent Palms, 20 minute walk, or Gansevoort, 5 minute walk but need car for everything else)

Good local restaurants, Sailing Paradise, Flamingo's, Bugaloo's, Da Conch Shack, they are also fun beach bars. Other beach bars include Somewhere On The Beach. The settings of the restaurants are the best in Caribbean.

TCI has some of the best beaches of the world, crystal clear bright turquoise water, powder white sand that goes for miles.

Uninhabited cays that you can explore by boat with nice beach strands. Great for searching sand dollars and dipping in for conch.

Easy to get to, nice big jets that maximize your day. It does have a more "generic" flair, of resorts lining a beach, but it's not overcrowded like some other islands like that.

Discloser: while many love st. Barth and are not crazy about TCI, I'm backwards, St. Barth was nice but I love TCI far more.

InMyOpinion Jul 10th, 2013 02:04 PM

Blaming has hit all the right points!

InMyOpinion Jul 10th, 2013 02:05 PM

Sorry. Blamona, I meant.

alya Jul 10th, 2013 07:32 PM

I agree that T&C is probably what you are looking for, although I haven't visited St Barth's so I can't comment on that island.

I love to snorkel and Provo was perfect for that but we personally prefer Nevis and have been there 3 times in the last 6 years, twice for significant (25th and 30th) wedding anniversaries.

The beach at Nisbet Plantation where we stay isnt the best on the island but i'll take the lack of crime and the chance to spend the morning on the beach and the afternoon in the rainforest over snorkeling any day.

We did take a trip from Nevis to St Kitts to snorkel but it was only meh.. The company was wonderful though.

We went to Provo once in 2007 and I doubt that we'll ever go back.

Caribzack Jul 12th, 2013 09:40 AM

Turks & Caicos for sure
but, add The Somerset to your list to check out. www.thesomerset.com

erik_martin_9678 Jul 14th, 2013 08:51 AM

Went to provodencials last year in Turks. Grace bay is as good a beach as you will ever see. I think it has been rated number 1 on trip advisor. There is really one main snorkeling spot on that beach everyone goes to. It is right in front of coral gardens resort. We stayed at coral gardens and could not have been happier. There is other snorkeling you can do off catamaran cruises and other parts of the island. We stayed for a week and saw something different every time we snorkeled around it. There are p,entry of varied restaraunts on Provo. I think I will go back

pcolom1 Dec 2nd, 2013 07:17 AM

We made up our mind to go to Turks and Caicos. So, now I was hoping some of you would provide some recommendations:

1) What are the best restaurants and bars that we should check out.

2) is it possible to take a cab to/from Chalk Sound

3) We are fans of the Aman Resorts, is the one in T+C, Amanyara, worth the drive to check out? We are staying on Grace Bay.

Thanks for any help. Maybe I should make this a new post, but I will see if it gets any attention here first.

blamona Dec 2nd, 2013 08:20 AM

1. Do not miss Coco Bistro, Bay Bistro and Le Bouchon
not a huge amount of bars, later at night seem to migrate at Vix, Sand Bar and Danny Bouys

2. It's possible but not the best way. Car rental for the day will cost less, and you can still explore Sapadilla, Taylor, eat at other places

3. Don't know when you're going, but you might get out there to be turned away. So if serious, make (very expensive) lunch reservations. Taxi will cost about $200, so again rental car.
It's a nice property, but they are very protective of their guests.

mamamo Dec 2nd, 2013 05:51 PM

Turks good choice.
I visited last year and we are going back next year. Yea.
Coco Bistro (under palms) and Bay Bistro (on beach) a must.
Mango Reef (on beach) good too.
If you want to do a snorkel excursion caicos dream tour is excellent.

WWK Dec 2nd, 2013 07:18 PM

Another vote for Turks. Going back for my fifth visit in a few weeks! The beach is one of the most beautiful I have seen anywhere in the world. You can snorkel off the beach at CORAL GARDENS, which is just to the left of WINDSONG RESORT.

I would highly recommend renting a car if you think you can deal with driving on the left. It really isn't that hard, and will save you the hassle and expense of relying on cabs.

But if you'd rather not rent a car, there are lots of reliable taxi drivers. I'd be happy to give you the name/contact info for the great driver we use on the island. Let me know if you need it.

About hotels: We have stayed very happily four times (!) at The West Bay Club, which is at the far end of the beach next to The Gansvoort. It has beyond gorgeous oceanfront suites that are HUGE, with every possible amenity, and is also on a very uncrowded stretch of beach.

This time we decided to try The Venetian- same idea as West Bay, I think- only because we got a better deal.

Some other hotels that are quite popular: SEVEN STARS, SOMERSET, REGENT GRAND, THE TUSCANY, GANSEVOORT.

Lastly, I agree with Blamona about hotels. BAY BISTRO is my absolute favorite because you can eat by torchlight on the beach, and the food is unbelievable. But COCO BISTRO, dining under giant palms in beautiful garden, is a close second.

Also really love SOMEWHERE CAFE, for great Mexican food, just in front of the snorkeling area at CORAL GARDENS.

WWK Dec 2nd, 2013 07:19 PM

A final note: CORAL GARDENS snorkeling area is to the left of WINDSONG RESORT if you are facing the water. Have fun!

blamona Dec 3rd, 2013 05:06 AM

Wwk, I think we miss each other by a week!

Venetian is a lovely quiet property. Amazing views from the rooms.

PC, where did you decide to stay?

WWK Dec 3rd, 2013 11:22 AM

Too bad, blamona! Would love to meet you one day soon!

pcolom1 Dec 5th, 2013 11:37 AM

I greatly appreciate all the responses. We decided to stay at the Regent Palms and are going in January and are most certianly going to check out nearly every place that has been suggested.

We are only interested in driving to Chalk Sound and Amanyara (either for lunch or for a spa service). We aren't that interested in renting a car for the entire trip because we don't plan to drive to dinner, etc because we don't want to drink and drive. Would it be smart to only rent a car for the one day or better to get a taxi/car service that one day?

blamona Dec 5th, 2013 04:27 PM

To chalk sound and Amanyara best if car rental. (Aman will cost at least $200 round trip for the ride).

Regent Palms has much better spa than Amanyara by the way. Depending when you go, might turn you away anyway. Food much better at other places too, especially for the price. You'll also loose quite a bit of beach time too, as they won't let you hang out on their beachfront either.

It's a gorgeous property, but my opinion not worth time/ money just to check it out.

Calk sound worth seeing, gorgeous turquoise. You also want to check out Sapadilla and Taylor Bays. Gorgeous and different from Grace Bay

FYI taxi will cost quite a bit more than car rental. Understand not wanting to drink and drive, but for the price of going to Chalk Sound you can have a rental car for 24 hours.

You're nit saving any money depending on taxi the whole time. But if that's what you want to do, which many do, thanks for being responsible!