Nevis: Montpelier & Mount Nevis Hotel

Old Aug 30th, 2005, 01:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nevis: Montpelier & Mount Nevis Hotel

We are planning to visit Nevis for the first time next spring. I have done some research and have narrowed our choice of hotel to the Montpelier Plantation and the Mount Nevis Hotel. Both appear to be quiet and relaxed inns away from, but accessible to the beaches, and they are each offering a six or seven night package for approximately the same price that includes breakfast each day and three dinners. The main difference is that Mount Nevis's package includes a multi-day rental car while Montpelier's does not.

I was wondering if anyone has stayed at either (or both) of these hotels and has a preference between them. Right now, I'm leaning toward Mount Nevis because of the rental car but I know of Montpelier's splendid reputation. Any opinions/reviews on the two hotels would be greatly appreciated.
Old Aug 30th, 2005, 02:10 PM

Montpelier is a much nicer hotel. Better accommodations, better food. I would not stay at Mount Nevis just based on the rental car. Mt Nevis was opened in 1989, whereas Montpelier is a plantation Inn. Far more interesting and beautiful. Montpelier is more romantic, and a much better value for the price. You can get a rental car easily and it is not that expensive. I would do Montpelier hands down... GL
Old Aug 30th, 2005, 03:30 PM

It's hard to believe that the prices are so similar. Montpelier is the best inn on the island. The service and food superb. Mount Nevis is nice but a bit plainer.

It depends if you are the type to be off property alot. If you aren't planning to spend alot of time at the hotel, then Mount Nevis would be fine for you.

I don't think you can go wrong anywhere on Nevis. It's a fabulous island.
Old Aug 30th, 2005, 03:30 PM

I'm biased, but hands down --> Montpelier. Read my review here (with pics). Car rental is something that Montpelier can arrange for you. It will run you about $40-50/day (excluding taxes, etc etc) and depending upon what type of vehicle. Good luck!

http://www.myeyez.net/cgi-bin/stkitt...num=1124673114
Old Aug 30th, 2005, 05:03 PM
Sunnyboy

I know the owners of both Mount Nevis and Montpelier very well and we dine often at both places. Like all the other posters have said there really is no comparison between the two places. Montpeier is simply the best Plantation Inn on the island. As you already know the price is not the same, you are not getting the rental car at Mount Nevis for free - it's part of the package (and you are paying for it. If you can afford Montpelier then Go For It! You'll be glad you did.

Old Aug 31st, 2005, 04:21 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your responses. This has been most helpful.
Old Aug 31st, 2005, 08:41 AM

Just to add my own two cents' worth...I agree with previous posters about the two places. I stayed at Mt. Nevis last fall as part of a 5 night luxury link package where I got a VERY good deal and it was a perfect place for a first time visit to Nevis, as it was located in a great place for island exploration. It has lovely views, good food, and nice modern accommodations that are quite spacious. However, it lacks the atmosphere and the feel that Montpelier offers. Montpelier really is in a class to itself.

Both would provide a good home base for exploring the island, but if you can afford to rent a car on top of the Montpelier package, it would be a much better choice, in my opinion.

Definitely check out Luxury Link, as both places are regularly featured there for bidding or purchase.
Old Sep 1st, 2005, 06:24 AM

You will love Nevis.

It is a beautiful, unspoilt island with lots of friendly and helpful locals. Note there is not much night life.

A restaurant I'd recommend is Miss Junes and a new restaurant called Coconuts. Of course you have to visit Sunshines.

My vote is for Montpelier as well....

Another website you might find helpful is www.islandimage.com

Click on Travel Forum.
Old Sep 1st, 2005, 06:26 AM

Andy's excellent review and pictures of Nevis can be found at www.myislands.myeyez.net

Old Sep 1st, 2005, 11:31 AM
Original Poster

Thank you again. The consensus is clearly for Montpelier. I really do appreciate the comments. And I have to applaud Andy_TN for a wonderfully detailed report and outstanding pictures.