Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Nevis lodging recommendation (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/nevis-lodging-recommendation-509960/)

tomodachi Mar 6th, 2005 05:40 PM

Nevis lodging recommendation

We are heading to Nevis in April and will be staying at the Four Seasons for about 4 nights (paid for by my company). Unfortunately, the FS is booked and I cannot extend my stay there for another two nights.

Question is - where to stay? I was thinking Inn at Cades Bay but it is hard to tell much for their web site. I like the idea of something quiet, close to the beach, and walking distance to some dining options. Any suggestions?

What about private residences?

Thanks,
Bill

Dblebee Mar 7th, 2005 04:47 AM

Take the ferry over to St Kitts for your last few days, much more to do and see.

Sunnyboy Mar 7th, 2005 06:51 AM

Check out www.nevis1.com for comprehensive unbiased reviews of just about every resort and hotel on Nevis.

Inn at Cades Bay is nice but it certainly isn't in the same class with the Four Seasons. The rooms are comfortable but basic. The rooms are in free standing units located on a small bluff over looking the water and just a minute or two walk to where you can access the beach. There's a small restaurant on the property that is open only a copule of days per week. There are two other restaurants within a few minutes walk of the Inn but they too are not open every day.

The other two beach front resorts on the island are Oualie Beach Resort and Nisbet Plantation. It might be difficult to find a private rental villa that is available for only two nights but you can check out many of them on the nevis1 website.

happymz Mar 7th, 2005 03:17 PM

Hi - just returned from a week in St. Kitts/ Nevis. While you could consider staying the last 2 nights on St. Kitts - we found Nevis to be the more charming of the two islands.

If you prefer to stay on Nevis, depending upon your budget I would second Sunnyboy's recommendations of Nisbet Plantation or Oualie Beach Hotel. We stayed at Golden Rock Plantation Inn, which was very nice, but far from the beach and any restaurants beyond that at the Inn. Really, I can't think of any place aside from the Four Seasons that meets all of your requirements - most other options that are close to the beach are not close to other dining options.

However, Nisbet would be a very nice change of pace - I believe it's the only restored sugar plantation inn on the beach in the Caribbean. We enjoyed their Seafood BBQ last Thursday evening - the food was excellent. We also enjoyed a lunch at Oualie - we made friends with a couple who were staying there who raved about the chef (he used to be at Four Seasons, but left after marrying a local girl & moving to the US, but then they decided to return to Nevis). We had a great meal there as well.

We found both to be charming (at least in the external appearance) & offer good dining, but while Oualie is probably the more affordable option, it is perhaps not as historic as Nisbet. Based upon our tour of the island & visits to various accomodations our vote would be to stay at Oualie on the next visit.

If you would decide to spend the last 2 nights on St. Kitts (though this is probably a less favorable option if you are flying in/out of Nevis), for accomodations near the beach with dining options nearby, I would suggest the Marriott (luxury beach resort with several restaurants on the property, but somewhat overwhelms the area) or Timothy Beach Resort (more budget option, local condo-style beach hotel).

tomodachi Mar 10th, 2005 03:53 AM

Thanks for the replys. We decided to try the Hurricane Cove Bungalows in search of a private lounge fest.

It's close to Oaulie Beach for food and beach. I'll report back.