Where to travel with young children?

Old Jan 17th, 2006, 08:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where to travel with young children?

I have a 5 year old and a 1.5 year old and we are looking for a nice resort, nice beaches and pool, lots of snorkeling, and a kids club or activities for both for a few times for the week. It is really hard to find a kids club for the younger child and I am having a hard time deciding on where to go. I know there are a ton of all-inclusives in the Dominicna, but we have been to Punta Cana..."been there, done that, no big thing". I have also looked into the Beaches at Turks and Caicos...but some of the reviews are so harsh. I am not one that has to be pampered to death to enjoy life...just want a decent place with things for the whole family to do. Please advise!
Old Jan 18th, 2006, 07:27 AM

Delandry:

Without being repetitive and breaching any on-line etiquette, please review my post on "where to travel with 2 year old" and Nevis Trip Report. I'll defer to others on the snorkelling with kids at other locations; ours have done it in Nevis (marginal), St. Croix (same), St. Thomas (good, depending where) and Kuaui (not Caribbean). We almost went to St. Lucia (Nevis won out, but St.L. is next), which may also fit your bill, esp. if you want an AI. Okay, I'll repeat one thing; look into the Westin on St. John - there are lots of postings on that one - and the island has great beaches and snorkelling. Like us, you have found it hard to settle on one place; that just means we have to plan more trips! Happy travels!
Old Jan 18th, 2006, 08:12 AM

When are you planning to go and how much do you plan to spend (including airfare)? This information will help to get you more useful suggestions.
Old Jan 18th, 2006, 08:50 AM

i have not stayed at beaches t&c so can offer no first hand info. i believe they offer just what you are looking for though. as well as a "sitting" service should you and dh decide to go out for dinner or to look around. i wonder if you are depending on reviews from the fodors boards? carib fodorites seem to have a general aversion to both ai's and resorts that cater to children as our kids are a bit older/grownup. many of us are a little -strike that to read a smidge - older and in some cases fairly experienced travelers. the ai by nature limits opportunity to explore you surroundings and dine out at different places every day. clearly, this is not the basis for trip planning at this point in your life.
very few good reviews of club med on here either but they are still in business! i say do what makes you happy. they have family w/small kids club in ixtapa, mexico.
anyway there is a beaches with kids club on jamaica, too, if that interests you. apparently you get privileges at the nearby sandals included.
also allegro playacar, starfish on i think jamaica, and i believe the divi resorts have one or more kids club locations.
Old Jan 18th, 2006, 02:10 PM
Original Poster

We don't need to pay for airfare...I have miles which is nice, thereby letting us spend "a little more" than those who have to pay to get there. I love to tour the islands too...but with small children our vacations are limited to a lot of beach and pool time. And going out to restaurants...forget it. It has to be quick and not too much trouble. So for now until the kids get older...I think we are limited to an AI or a place with a kitchen...but then I am stuck cooking most nights....and that is no fun either. Hopefully this helps...and more can help me decide what resort/location would work! Thanks!
Old Jan 18th, 2006, 02:14 PM
Original Poster

Oh...and in response to Virginia...I was at a Club Med in Punta Cana in 2003 with a 3 year old at the time. I really didn't feel like it was anything great...my husband was bored stiff. SO....just need some activities for him...ie, golf, waterskiing, snorkeling, fishing, scuba...etc. Thanks though for your reponse!
Old Jan 18th, 2006, 04:15 PM

Your kids are the right ages for FDR at Runaway Bay in Jamaica; you are right, you will have a very tough time finding a camp to take your little one, but FDR is the resort where you get your own nanny; it is a small place, the food is surprisingly good and your nanny will sit for you at night (for a pittance) and you can go to the adults only restaurant which is at the end of a pier. My husband golfed several times with Breezes which is right next door and you can also go on excursions if you want. The rooms are also real suites so everyone can get a good night's sleep.

Hope this helps,

Mary
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 05:25 AM

I'm still not sure how much you're planning to spend so it's a bit hard to recommend a place. But let me make one suggestion. The Coral Gardens Beach Resort (http://www.coralgardens.com/the_resort/index.php) on Providenciales icos) is located on fabulous Grace Bay Beach, one of the best beaches in the Caribbean. There is a reef right in front of the hotel where you can snorkel to your heart's content. Provo itself should be a relatively easy flight for you (at least as compared to many other Caribbean islands). The resort itself is very nice and the suites come with full kitchens. There are a couple of swimming pools and also two restaurants on the premises (so you don't have to cook every meal or leave the hotel to go out to eat). I don't know whether they have a children's program. It was not an issue for us and I don't recall a lot of children being there but you can always ask. Coral Gardens isn't inexpensive but the rates will be significantly lower if you go after April 1. They offer a family package that might suit your needs (http://www.coralgardens.com/the_reso...r_packages.php).
Old Jan 20th, 2006, 06:19 PM
MSQ

Have you looked at Half Moon Bay in Jamaica? Great old style Caribbean resort that has kept up with the times. Great kids program and they also have the option of providing you with a nanny with your suite so that the adults can have a holiday too.

Also great golf course, good food and beach.
Old Jan 21st, 2006, 03:13 PM

Walk by Beaches T&C evety time we are there sometimes 2 or 3 times a day. Looks like what I have always been told. But after walking by Beaches several times I can add it 2 the list. If u want 2 argue with your wife do these certian tasks. 1 Hang Curtians 2 Put up the Xmas tree and now 3 Take young children (under 5) on vac.
Old Jan 22nd, 2006, 08:36 AM

Hey, My wife and I just returned from Mexico yesterday. We stayed at the Sandos Gala Playacar. They had alot of things for the kids to do, with many pools and an awesome beach. They have stitting service, and a kids club. We were kind of wishing we would have brought our kids, but next year for sure. As far as things for adults to do, they have right their at the beach deapsea fishing, volleyball, parasailing, kiteboarding.

This was our first time in Mexico and was a little nervous about going but after we spent a few days their we were very comfortable. We took a cab ride into Playa Del Carmen and walked fifth street twice. Never once did I feel threatened in any way. We really loved it their and plan to go back next year with our children. I hope this helps!!
Old Jan 23rd, 2006, 09:02 AM

Hi I was looking at going to the Paradisus in Punta Cana with our 5 and 7 year olds, looks like you have been in that area.Do you reccomend it and is 5 days and 6 nights too long. Also is it too hot in June? Any input would be appreciated. I am not set on DR any All Inclusive in the carribean .Thanks.
Old Jan 24th, 2006, 04:15 PM
Original Poster

Dentoc2...I don't know much about the resort you are talking about. We stayed at the Club Med. It had a great kids club (especially for kids over 5..the younger ones don't enjoy it)...but I don't know if I would necessarily reccommend the resort it self. Not terrible...but some snobby people were there. We stayed 10 days...WAY TO LONG for the DR in my opinion. We were also there in March. Nice weather for 7 days, but a cold front came through the last 3 and it go cold.

Thanks also to the rest for your ideas, I will definitely check them out.

And Conch...don't really understand your comment on Beaches or arguing with the wife. I would love to travel without the kids if I could...but due to some events that happened to me while I was out of the country on September 11....it has all together changed how my family travels.