Cuisinart or Cap Juluca - need updated comparisons

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11th, 2008, 07:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have stayed at CA twice (last time was 2 years ago) so I am familiar with the resort and all its positive features. My stays there were the best. I have visited CJ on both visits and found it breathtakingly beautiful as well. I know it all comes down to personal taste and some luck (winds, etc). When I last visited CJ the ocean was rough and basically unusable. It was like that at CA that day too, so we took refuge at the pool. Not an option at CJ.

I am going the beginning of June and both resorts are offering summer specials, making the prices competitive. Here are my concerns about CJ. In order for the price to compare to CA I need to book the superior room and am wondering how it compares to the higher priced luxury room.

I also have read reports of turmoil at CJ due to management changes as well as unfriendly staff. I am wondering what the current status of the hotel is and whether any of these issues have been resolved. Also wondering if any of the planned room facelifts have taken place.

I know this is a very good problem to have, and I am grateful to have the opportunity to stay at either of these fine hotels so thanks ahead for re-addressing this same old question.
Old Mar 11th, 2008, 08:30 AM

I think you would be helped by going on www.anguillaforum.com and looking at the recent reviews of CJ and CA.

when we went to CJ a year ago this month, the same "issues" of management and staff were supposedly there and we didn't encounter any problems at all. The room was great- not yet renovated, but still great- we had a junior suite. I think every room at Cap is ocean front. we loved Cap, were glad we didn't stay at CA and loved everything about our trip, but not havign stayed at CA, i can't do a true comparison. I can onlly say that from what I say when we visited CA, I was glad we were at Cap.

BTW, Cap does have a pool- it's just not gorgeous, but they do have one.
Old Mar 11th, 2008, 08:54 AM

We just came back from CJ on Feb. 9th.
IMHO having stayed there 15 times-its
still great. We did stay at Cuisinart
when CJ was closed in 1999.

Maunday's bay has less wind, and
is not as rough on a windy day, especially on the east end of the beach.
The superior room is the center beachfront lower room in some of the villas. Its just like a luxury room, size, patio, etc--except the bathroom is interior, not glass walled enclosed like the exterior walled rooms, no tub. Its bathroom is smaller---hey its all marble and very very nice. The hotel has a limited amount of superior rooms.

They have maintained the hotel
very well. Each room now has an
Ipod/radio/clock--this is new!
The service was great.
Old Mar 11th, 2008, 10:35 AM

My thoughts are if your stays at CA were the best why go anywhere else? We were just there this past November for our fourth stay and are even taking the kids there for the first time this August. To me, you just can't beat CA. Not only is it beautiful, and set on a beautiful beach, but the staff is so friendly. Over the years we have made friends with many of them and receive warm hugs everytime we arrive. The staff remembers you by name. It is truely like our home away from home. I feel so darn welcome there and that is really what puts it over the top for me. I also like the fact that most people that stay at CA are repeat visitors and love to talk about the resort and all the fine restaurant on island. I made more friends this past trip than ever.
Old Mar 11th, 2008, 11:54 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the input. My feeling is that CA is glitzier and CJ more understated and it comes down to personal taste and preferences. I know this topic could be debated endlessly but my main concern is whether CJ is declining due to some of its management issues. I thought Cuisinart had actually improved from my first visit to my second, but I get the feeling that CJ has not put the same attention on their property.

CJ is offering a buy 6 nites, get 1 free special this summer which has caught my interest. In the past CA was much cheaper than CJ but it has now caught up. I am inclined to agree that perhaps I should stick with CA since my experiences there were superb. Then I think about that beach and CJ and the conflict begins again.

Old Mar 11th, 2008, 04:01 PM

i honestly don't think you'll be disappointed if you try Cap. Selfishly, I'd love to read your trip report and comparison of the 2!
Old Mar 12th, 2008, 02:42 AM

Jeangail,

May I ask where you saw the six nights-one night free offer?
Thank you.
Old Mar 12th, 2008, 05:06 AM
Original Poster

I saw the promotion on hotel-caribbean.com and then I called CJ directly. There was some hesitation and I was put on hold but then they confirmed the free night and said I could book it through them. Hotel-caribbean.com not only has the free night, but has a lower rate when you factor in tax and gratuity. It's a better deal than direct booking but I've never used them and am somewhat nervous. They sounded very competent when I called them and even called the hotel to get answers to some questions they couldn't answer.

I am still going back and forth between CJ and CA but need to settle the matter soon because I would be staying 6 nites at CA and 7 nites at CJ which affects my air.