COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

never been to Puerto Rico, would it be a good place to take my parents for my Dad's 60th b'day?

never been to Puerto Rico, would it be a good place to take my parents for my Dad's 60th b'day?

Old Sep 3rd, 2000, 05:53 PM
Beth Anderson

HI all,

My Dad turns 60 next month. I am trying to think of a nice place to take my parents (I am going too) for 5-7 days. They live in PA and I live in DC.

Is October a good time to go? What would be some good things to do while we are there? I think they would both be up for light hiking, nothing day-long or super strenuous. what is the easiest way to get around the island, and, for a trip that short, would it be worth it to stay in San Juan for the most part (or are there easy tours to other places).

are there are destinations you might suggest, if not PR?

thanks!

Beth

Old Sep 4th, 2000, 04:39 PM
Louis

Beth -- I posted an anwser for you on your similar query in the United States forum.

Old Sep 5th, 2000, 04:31 AM
Beth Anderson

Thanks Louis, that was a very thoughtful reply. I'll take it all into consideration.

Beth

Old Sep 5th, 2000, 06:22 AM
eileen

If you really want the "get away from it all" feeling, I would not recommend you stay in San Juan. It is a big city with the atmosphere of one -- traffic, etc. I highly recommend the Hyatt Dorado, about 40 minutes outside of SJ. The Hyatt Cerramar is one mile away (shuttle buses run between the two) and the two properties provide plenty to do. If you want to hike, take a day trip to the rainforest. The Hyatts also run other day trips such as tours of San Juan, the Bacardi factory, etc. We love the Dorado, get the beachfront rooms and you are only steps away from the water. Check it out at www.Hyatt.com. Good rates in October too.

Old Sep 7th, 2000, 06:59 AM
Mom

I have been to PR several times and if my kids wanted to take me there on my birthday I wouldn't be happy. I'd rather go to a less congested, populated island myself. Someplace quiet and relaxing and where I could walk and not be afraid. Someplace where I could rent a car and explore and not have to worry about tons of traffic.But then I'm only 53. LOL

Old Sep 7th, 2000, 09:14 AM
Tom

you can do all of that in Puerto Rico outside of the San Juan area.

Old Sep 20th, 2000, 03:38 PM
Maira

Hi Beth--- Puerto Rico is a good choice; the currency is the dollar and English is widespread, so there is a familiarity factor in there. Nothing prevents anybody from renting a car in PR (?) and explore. I would spend a couple of days in the San Juan area (there are hotel recommendations posted; Hyatt Dorado Beach is not a bad choice) and do as follows:

DAY 1 Arrival from the States. Go to the hotel. Settle. Relax by the beach. Have a nice dinner (try to get into Ajili-Mojili (787) 725-9195).

DAY 2 & 3 Sightseeing; Walk around Old San Juan, El Morro, Casa Blanca, Casals Museum, Cathedral, Governor's Mansion, afternoons are for the beach and Pina Coladas!

DAY 4 Try to get to El Yunque Tropical Rainforest; about 45 minutes drive from San Juan in the town of Luquillo. Very nice hiking trails, good fun. Get to the Orientation Center first and get familiar with the site location. Nice falls, beautiful flora, picnic areas. If you could do this on your own is even better; every time I visit I noticed the tour groups being rushed thru the site. Not how the place is meant to be enjoy. Stay at Humacao, Wyndham Palmas del Mar Resort. Breathtaking!

DAY 5 Tour El Faro Lighthouse in the nearby town of Fajardo (excellent tour and ocean views), RESERVE ahead of time for this should-not-be-miss adventure (787) 722-5882. Includes a two hour trolley ride around a natural reserve; amazing ecology and fauna.

DAY 6 Whatever Dad wants to do! OUTSTANDING GOLF COURSE!

DAY 7 Departure?

PLAN B: Head out to Ponce. The town is quite colonial and interesting. Mayaguez is truly typical Puerto Rico. Rincon; beautiful beaches & world-class surfing. Lajas; outstanding snorkeling and sea sports.

My Gosh! whoever stays in San Juan for the whole duration of their PR vacation has truly miss the boat! Makes me wonder why/how/what Mom (above poster) does when she in PR......