Negril Yacht Club

Old Feb 1st, 2003, 06:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Negril Yacht Club

Does anybody know anything about the Negril Yacht Club? They offerd me a pretty good rate for an extended stay. Location? Up-keep?
Old Feb 2nd, 2003, 08:27 AM

It's located on the water, past town and right before the cliffs begin. It has a small beach and a lively bar with live music.

I don't know you so it's hard to say if it's good for you...it's not particularly quiet...if you're looking for stuff going on right there, it's great, and it's an easy walk to the lower cliffs and town. Rooms looked fine to me.

Not a fancy place but it's been there a long time and the owners are very nice, I like the bar staff and I have friends that live there except for summers.
Old Feb 5th, 2003, 06:50 AM
Original Poster

My friend arrived a week earlier than I on Monday and said it wasn't vary clean and they rent rooms mostly by the hour. He did find us cabins at the green leaf. We are both in our 40's and are just looking for someplace cheep and clean for an extended stay. (freind 4 weeks, myself 3 weeks) Noise isn't a problem, however ultimately we would like a cheap, clean, laid back, jamaican experience. (By cheap I mean $30 to $40 per night). Yacht club was $30, Ja Bs has offerd $30, Green tree is $38. My plan at the moment is Green tree the first week, and look around for the rest of my stay. Any advice would be great. Thanks liza for your reply. I leave sunday.
Old Feb 5th, 2003, 09:32 AM
mm

Roots Bamboo on the beach is a good bet. Small cabins some with private bath.

They have a website which you can find via yahoo.
Old Feb 5th, 2003, 12:17 PM

Jah B's gets consistently good reviews on the Jamaica boards I visit, a friend of mine always stays there when she goes to Negril (which is 3+ times a year). Friends we went with last year ate several meals there and really liked the food, and vibe.

Some places with higher advertised rates will gladly bargain down if you show up in person with cash and the budget places don't fill up like the big resorts so if you have a place for the first couple of days, you should have no problem finding a place for the rest of the trip.

A favorite place of mine is on the cliffs - Blue Cave Castle. I think the single person rate is in your range: bluecavecastle.com.

I don't know greentree.

You might stop by the jamaicans.com bulletin boards for more ideas, lots of regular budget travelers there:

http://www.jamaicans.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?category=3

...the price range you have includes a TON of places in Treasure Beach, by the way...if you have time you might try a few days there...about 2 hours from Negril by private taxi or car. TB is a no-hustle, few tourists part of the island.
Old Feb 5th, 2003, 12:36 PM

I just thought of one more - Secrets, the cabins at Firefly. Firefly itself is more expensive but Secrets are the original cabins there, basic but right on the beach and part of a resort with bar, etc. Also the only clothing optional hotel on the main beach.

http://www.jamaicalink.com/secrets/index1.htm