Reload this Page >

negril vs. ochos rios; superclubs vs. sandals

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27th, 2001, 09:18 AM
cindy sharp

My hubby-to-be and I are planning our honeymoon in early Dec 2001 and have narrowed our options down between Negril and Ochos Rios, Jamiaca. However, we're still undecided between Superclubs (Grand Lido Negril) and Sandals. In Ochos Rios, the same dilemna: we're thinking of Grand Lido Sans Souci or the new Sandals property, Beaches Royal Plantation. We're both in our late 30's and would enjoy golf (he's very good, I'm just a beginner), snorkeling, scuba (I'm certified, he is not), swimming in the ocean, waterskiing (neither one of us has tried this), and just lounging on the beach "vegging out." Good food and being pampered are important as well. The night-life (i.e. dancing, partying, etc) aren't that important (seeing as I how I can rarely stay up past 10 or 11 pm!). <BR> <BR>Any comments on the two locations (Negril or Ochos Rios) would be greatly appreciated. Also, if anybody has any preferences between Superclubs and Sandals, especially the new Beaches Royal Plantation, that would be fabulous as well. We like the idea of staying at one and playing at the others (with respect to the Sandals properties), but it seems that Superclubs has gotten very good ratings from AAA (4 diamond resort ratings!). We plan to have a long honeymoon (2 weeks), so we don't know if staying at the Superclubs, whether we'd "run out" of things to do at just one location (I'm more concerned with the energizer bunny I'm marrying -- me, I'd be happy with a good book, endless cocktails and my own lounge chair on the ocean for 2 weeks). <BR> <BR>Thanks alot and I look forward to your comments and suggestions!!

Old Mar 27th, 2001, 10:10 AM
Suzi

We stayed at Sandals Ocho Rios last May. Actually, we got married on the pier there and had a great honeymoon. The food was excellent and the beach party was fun/laid back. The staff is excellent and the oceanview room was very nice. We snorkeled, learned how to windsurf, leaned to sail a sun fish sail boat and completely vegged out. I would suggest that you take the tour where you climb up Dunn's River Falls. That was a great adventure and it was beautiful. I didn't like the shopping adventures in the villages at all...too pushy...but some people thought it was great. There is golf at the Dunn's River Sandals and we went there for dinner one night. We liked the restaurants at Ocho Rios better, but like I said, we only went to one at Dunn's River. Oh, and if you are silly like we are then you need to play kissy-kissy bingo. Too cute and you win prizes! I liked the relaxed atmosphere of Sandals. We didn't feel like we had to "party" and we spent a very relaxing week there. I do understand what you mean about getting bored with just one place to go. Dunn's River and Ocho Rios Sandals are only a 10 minute bus ride away. Also, you can take many tours (not included) like the mountain bike ride to see where blue mountain coffee is grown and lots of others. We mostly ate a lot of great food and stayed in the water. Good luck. Sorry to ramble but I hope this helped.

Old Mar 27th, 2001, 12:29 PM
Kim

Have been to several Sandals and Negril is by far the best. The beach itself is 7 miles long, you can walk forever. Just returned from Sandals St. Lucia on March 5 loved it also, daughter is getting married at the Sandals Royal Bahamian on May 5, 2001. email me if you like!

Old Mar 29th, 2001, 03:33 PM
Ivona McCormick

go to dennyp.com and see trip reports on all the SuperClubs resorts. We have been to two Superclubs resort - Grand Lido Braco and Hedonism III - two are spectacular resort and have different things to offer. Also talked to people that have been to SC Grand Lido Negrill and San Suci - generally Lidos are more upscale (san Suci - free spa treatments, massages, body wraps, etc - but nightlife is lacking,still great food at all Grand Lidos, including Lobster), Grand Lido Braco has a Golf course on premises,Hedo III from our experience has a party atmosphere, great watersports and great people. It was our first clothing optional resort and we absolutely loved it. We met a lot of people this year, food was great and all the drinks you could dream of were avaialble. We also loved Grand Lido Braco last year, but people tended to stay to themselves. Hedo III had a great Japanese and Italian restaurant plus Jamiacan restaurant and the buffet (plentiful and v. tasty) same goes for Braco, except that Italian restaurant there was very casual but they had a 5 star French resturant that was to die for!

Old Apr 1st, 2001, 10:43 AM
Kim

Ochos Rios would be my choice or Negril. You have to do Dunn's River Falls and beside the ride to Negril may kill you. It is the bus ride from .... well you know. You will not run out of things to do in two weeks. Have fun!