Negril - Solo Travel

Old Jul 17th, 2013, 07:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Negril - Solo Travel

Hello. I am planning a vacation for just myself. I spent a week in Montego Bay about 20 years ago and had a nice time. I've always wanted to go back and visit Negil. What are some hotels I should consider? The only requirements are a bar, restaurant, nice beach and pool. I'm male if that matters. Thanks.
Old Jul 17th, 2013, 09:26 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
To see a map and description of what's available on 7-mile beach use this website:
www.negrilonestop.com
Click on the hotels to go to a description/photos.

In Negril, there's also "the Cliffs" area with lots of cool places to stay. But since you specifically said beach, well start with the above.
Old Jul 17th, 2013, 12:39 PM

Do you have a price range in mind? Pretty much all the hotels have a bar, restaurant, and beach.

Most (except the more budget places) have pools. I like Charela Inn, but it's a quiet hotel, maybe not the best suggestion for solo male, assuming you might want to meet people.

Only a few Negril posters here in Fodor's, but there's an active forum over on Trip Advisor if you want further information and ideas.
Old Jul 18th, 2013, 04:47 AM

I stayed in Montego Bay a 3 years ago and only had one day in Negril but in that one day I fell in love. There were a few places on the beach that looked nice. I know there was a Groupon or Living Social deal for Treehouse which gets good reviews. The beach there is amazing and I've been to some nice beaches. Whatever you decide, have a great trip!
Old Jul 18th, 2013, 06:08 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. Charela Inn sounds good - I like quiet! Do most places have internet in the rooms?

Most of the hotels I saw on onestopnegril were really cheap, e.g. $100 per night. Is that accurate?

RE: beach v cliff

Is it just like it sounds? You either stay at a beach hotel or on a hotel that's on a nice cliff but no beach?

Will try TripAdvisor as well.

Thanks again.
Old Jul 18th, 2013, 07:58 AM

Correct. About the beaches vs. cliffs in Negril. The West End road runs from the round-about in town, in one direction are all the beach places, both sides of the road & in the other direction are the Cliffs (again on both sides of the road, so some with ocean views and ocean access from the cliffs, the other side 'garden' situation).

I'm not sure about internet in rooms. I didn't travel with a computer and just used an internet cafe in town when I needed access. but just check the various hotel websites, they should say if they have it.

Sure there are some places for $100/night. Negril is very casual.

But also others a bit nicer and so a bit higer priced (depending the season beach-front rooms at Charela are $150 to $205).
Old Jul 18th, 2013, 11:24 AM

Here's a few favorites:

BEACH:

http://www.idleawhile.com/index.htm

http://www.cocolapalm.com/

http://www.charela.com/

CLIFFS:

http://www.catchajamaica.com/

http://tensingpen.com/

http://www.miragenegril.com/
Old Jul 19th, 2013, 01:44 PM
WWK

We've stayed at Coco La Palm many times. I think it's on the best part of the beach, but it tends to draw families with young kids, especially during busy school vacation weeks. The resort has some of the largest rooms on the island, especially the jr. suites, and does have two pools, although they are fairly small.

Idle Awhile is next door to Coco, and is slightly more upscale. It draws less families, and more singles, but is also a smaller resort. There's no pool, but it's on the same great section of beach as Coco.

Charela is just a few minutes down the beach from Idle Awhile. It has a very nice beachfront.I haven't seen the rooms, so can't comment on them.

Of these hotels, I'd probably advise either Idle Awhile or Charela, since you're seeking quiet.

Just a FYI: Internet can be spotty in Negril, so don't count on it unless you're staying at one of the mega-resorts like BEACHES.

Lastly, for $100/night, you'd be looking at very basic hotels.

Have a great time!
Old Jul 19th, 2013, 04:03 PM

I have seen some of the rooms at Charela. The ones that open directly on to the beach, I thought were very nice. They have a small frig. I have read their standard rooms were on the small side. The pool sits in a garden courtyard, not huge, but looks pleasant for a dip. This is most definitely a "hotel" not a "resort".

I stay on the Cliffs (3 trips but widely spaced apart in years!). Last time was at Le Mirage, the sister hotel to Charela, so they arranged that I could spend a day at the beach at Charela Inn, which was absolutely lovely.