Negril, Ocho Rios, or Montego Bay

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12th, 2004, 08:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm trying to plan a trip to Jamaica in May. Which is a better place to vacation: Negril, Ocho Rios, or Montego Bay. We're looking activities during the day as well as activities during the night. Also, any suggestions on good places to stay?
Old Feb 12th, 2004, 09:18 AM

Not to complicate things for you but I'd also consider Treasure Beach/south coast and the area east of Port Antonio in Portland.

Portland is on the northeast coast and has - bar none - the most stunning scnery on the island. The highest mountains drop down to nearly deserted coves with clear blue-green water, few tourists are willing to drive the 4-5 hours from MoBay or fly into Kingston (2 hours) to get there...so you get it to yourself a lot of the time. Lots of interesting accomodation choices and things to do.

Treasure Beach is dry, even has cactus, and accomodations are mainly in villas and small guesthouses. A fishing village that has only recently gotten somewhat popular with tourists, it still retains that fishing village feel. Beaches are usually deserted here too, though the sand is brown not white and there can be waves.

Negril, Ochi and MoBay are the main tourist towns. They are all crowded in season (winter-spring) and all will have varying degrees of hassle from people trying to sell you things. That said...

Negril is the most casual, most people hardly put on their shoes, the 7 mile beach is the main "highway", lined with small hotels, bars, restaurants. Great white sand beach and cliffs that you can jump off of and snorkel along with some really neat small hotels.

MoBay is a cruise ship stop and the city with the big airport. So a lot of toruists are only there for the day or less. It has some high rises, a "hip strip" of shopping and hotels and a couple of very nice beaches, things to do include plantation home tours, some river rafting, etc.

Ochi is also a cruise ship town, it was built specifically to be a tourist town. Beaches are less impressive (smaller) but you do get lush foliage and some good things to do in the area.

Portland is my favorite.
Old Feb 12th, 2004, 09:27 AM

Of those 3, I would pick Negril, mainly because of the beach and because everything is so convenient. Choices for accomodations are varied. Do you want All inclusive or not - I personally do not recommend all inclusive because the food is usually pretty bad. What is your price range? Are you looking to do a package with air or will you book air separately?
Old Feb 12th, 2004, 11:02 AM

I would also choose Negril out of the three. Like Liza mentioned, you should also consider Treasure Beach, and Port Antonio (though there isn't much night activity here).

All inclusive, or not?
Old Feb 13th, 2004, 08:16 AM

I would choose negril alot nicer than Montego bay or ochos rios. Depending on your budhet I would stay at Swept Away if all possible. Excellent place beach food and service well worth money. I ahve stayed there past 3 years in a row
Old Feb 18th, 2004, 04:09 AM
Original Poster

thanks for the information. I'm interested in AI.