Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Negril Jamaica: CocolaPalm, Country Country or Charela

Mar 4th, 2005, 02:35 PM
Original Poster

I have been researching the small resorts on the beach in Negril and I would love to hear from anyone who has stayed in the above three hotels. I really don't need to hear about other hotels, as I have narrowed my search down. I would be interested in each on points of beach, location, rooms, and who would best fit the hotel. I am planning a trip with just my husband and another with a group of girls so I would love to know which hotel fits both situations. Thanks!
Mar 4th, 2005, 02:40 PM
Original Poster

I should have mentioned the "girls" are in their 30s and 40s and have somewhat high standards (basically clean with a little class) but love a casual, fun atmosphere.
Mar 4th, 2005, 03:12 PM

We stayed at Idle Awhile and saw all 3 of those properties you mentioned as I had considered them as well.

I would recommend Coco La Palm as Country Country's beach was badly eroded and Charela looked like it badly needed a good scrubbing and a renovation.

Of course, now is the time for me to say Idle Awhile imho is nicer than all three...
Mar 4th, 2005, 05:57 PM

I totally agree with Diana, except Coco La Palm is a more "full service" resort with a couple of pools, hot tub, main restaurant/bar and a beach bar and grill. I agree that the accommodations are more appointed at Idle Awhile, but they are nice at CCLP and the staff is INCREDIBLE.
Mar 5th, 2005, 01:40 PM
Original Poster

I said I had narrowed it down, but I guess I am still open to suggestions. I just remembered another place I have heard good things about- NEGRIL GARDENS. Anyone stayed here? Thanks for all the input, Idle awhile sounds good for the couple thing.
Mar 5th, 2005, 03:01 PM

I think you've already gotten very good advice. We just returned from our 4th trip to Coco, and while I would still highly recommend it,( great staff, location on the best part of the beach) there are some annoying minor maintenance problems ( so-so mattresses,tempermental AC unit, peeling bathroom ceiling). And this was in one of the jr. suites.
Also some of the standard rooms in COCO INN, and the part of the hotel that was once called SILVER SANDS, are really not up to par.

As a result, I checked out IDLE AWHILE, which is just next door. The rooms in the standard category are small but lovely, the jr. suites and one bedrooms are heavenly, but run about $330 and up a night. There are only 13 rooms on site, so it tends to book up quickly, and there is no pool on the grounds, but you do have complimentary access to the fitness center at SWEPT AWAY, a 20 min. walk down the beach.

I don't think Negril Gardens is in the same category as COCO or IDLE AWHILE.

If direct beach access doesn't bother you, you might want to check out ROCKHOUSE for the trip with the girls. Cliffside thatched huts with staircase access to the water run about $100/night, and it is a really magical spot.

Good luck with your plans!

Negril Gardens is simply not in the same category as these two other properties, so I wouldn't even consider it.
Mar 8th, 2005, 10:21 AM

Hi. I have only stayed at CocolaPalm si I don't know what the other places are like but CCLP is wonderful. The hotel is nice and clean and the staff is the best. Some of my coworkers go to Jamaica every year and will only stay at CCLP. I would also only stay there. There is a bartender there named Bolton who is the greatest guy and serves the best dirty bananas on the beach. Also there is a guy who runs things down there, his name is Mike, he's great about putting stuff together for the guest. Our first night down there he brought a group of us to a great place to eat and then to a few places to listen to live music. It was great, you get to know other guest and by the end of your trip you are friends with everyone. I have nothing bad to say about CCLP.
Mar 8th, 2005, 10:35 AM

Just a note on Rockhouse - the standard rooms are $100 but the cliffside villas are $250 (or $195 summer).

Coc and Charela have a better location o nthe beach than Country Country, and don't have the erosion that's up by CC either, at least not as of last October when we were there.
Mar 8th, 2005, 12:42 PM

My friends just came back from Country, Country and were very disappointed. They said their room was not clean and the facilities not in good shape. They paid 150/nt EP.

Idle Awhile is really pretty. I have also stayed at Charela but it was years ago and I have read that it has been in decline. CoColaPalm looks really pretty from the outside.

I am a fan of Rockhouse but for me that would be a romantic trip choice and I would definitely book a villa. I loved my two visits there.
Mar 10th, 2005, 04:28 AM
KDR

I agree that you have gotten good advice. I've only stayed on the cliffs at the Rockhouse, but we spent a day on the beach at Idle Awhile, and it is a beautiful small hotel. Coco La Palm would be my choice if we were visiting with children. It strikes me a bit as a family place--definitely the hotel where we saw the most children. Not sure if that is a concern you have or not. Have fun!
Mar 10th, 2005, 10:06 AM
Original Poster

I have narrowed down my search to Idle away with my husband and cocolapalm with the girls group. YOu all were a big help! Thanks!
Mar 10th, 2005, 10:06 AM
Original Poster

correction:Idle awhile!