Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   negril,jamaica (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/negril-jamaica-92760/)

mary-ellen Nov 5th, 2000 12:21 PM

negril,jamaica

I am trying to plan my next vacation and can't decide between Sandals or Couples in Negril. Which resort is the best and why?

ohliz Nov 6th, 2000 11:28 AM

Sandals and Couples are right next door to each other. I understand Couples includes some excursions and Sandals does not. I have not stayed at either one. <BR> <BR>I don't stay in A/I's in Negril - all the fun is OUTSIDE the resorts, on the main beach. Live music on the beach every night (the bars rotate), literally hundreds of restaurants in every price range, bars along the cliffs and the beach...and it's all open to the public. The A/I's are all grouped together at the south end of the 7 mile beach, pretty far walk to all the action. <BR> <BR>:) Liz

KIM(IN) Nov 6th, 2000 06:32 PM

Hello, I have stayed at Sandals Resort in Negril and we loved it and plan on going back nx feb the only reason we are not going this feb is we are trying to hit all the Sandals resorts before returning again, but we have been to a few and Negril is my favorite. Negril is by far the better choice. And yes they offer all kinds of outside excursions! <BR>Ohliz dont know what he is talking about, you can walk the beach for miles if you like and they also have a private Island. There is lots to do in the evening your vacation is what you make it, so go from their. The resort is a very beautiful place and the staff, food,and people you meet are also the greatest.Definately worth a return. Email me if you like!

caution Nov 7th, 2000 07:40 AM

Just a note on Negril, Jamaica...although the beaches are definately the finest in all of Jamaica (nice sand,clear water and huge conk shells in the deep)the idea of walking the beach may not be for everyone. Again, Im sure you have heard of Jamaica not being all that safe...each hotel property owned by Sandals including Beaches, has a security guard posted at each end of the resort so that they may take your name if you choose to leave the hotel beach area. What does this tell you?? Just a warning that you will come across dope peddlers on the beaches that are public..Not to mention the fact that the areas that are not "hotel owned" are riddled with seaweed and garbage. Every hotel has to rake thier beach each morning just to make it presentable. The natives also comb the beaches in search of shells to sell to tourists. It is not paradise that can be wandered freely. Go to Mexico if you want to leave your resort and walk for miles!!!

Kim Nov 7th, 2000 07:51 AM

I dont know what your experience was but we walked everyday and never had a problem. Just use a little common sence and you will be fine, walk with someone if you feel unsafe. I never felt unsafe <BR>the whole time I was their.And yes there are parts of the beach that have seaweed <BR>and trash but what beach does'nt have seaweed? and the trash comes from humans who throw it their and not always the people who live their. And as far as the drugs go yes they are all over in Jamaica but they are here also and you just say NO! and they leave you alone.Go to Mexico if you want to watch what you eat and be sick for 3 wk after you get home.

Debbie Nov 7th, 2000 08:18 AM

My Husband and I had our Honeymoon in April. We went to Couples! It was one of the best vacations we ever had! It was very clean and the bartenders were GREAT!!! The bed was the BEST very comfy!!!!!!!!! Breakfast was excellent! Lunch and dinner were good to! the beach grill turned into a Nice Italian resturant that was excellent!!! Alot of seafood was served. We are not seafood prople though. There was never a problem using any of the watersports they had ample! All I can say about our vacation was we felt like wet noodles the whole time! Couples is nextdoor to sandles and was less expensive!! I loved it P.S. We used SPF 30 and still has a sunburn!!! Have fun

ohliz Nov 13th, 2000 03:04 PM

Hey Kim, I'm a she! <BR> <BR>What I meant was, we can stay in Negril for two weeks for what it costs in an A/I for one week so that's what we do. A/I's are fine, there a re a lot of nice tings about them but we prefer to eat wherever we want, pay for the activities we want and go out at night without thinking we shouldn't because we've prepaid everything. <BR> <BR>The 7 mile beach is WONDERFUl to walk - if it's not the middle of the night and you aren't alone, staggering drunk and waving around diamonds, You're fine. <BR> <BR>:) Liz

Henry Nov 13th, 2000 03:42 PM

My wife and I are returning to Sandals Negril for the third year in a row in January. It is wonderful and worth every penny! We walked and ran the beach every morning and never felt in any danger. If you would like a full trip report, please email me.

ohliz Nov 16th, 2000 10:41 AM

I'd say the security guards at the A/I beaches are there to keep non-guests from eating and drinking the free stuff... <BR> <BR>:) Liz