Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Need to plan a last-minute trip to Caribbean in March-end or early April. (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/need-to-plan-a-last-minute-trip-to-caribbean-in-march-end-or-early-april-882251/)

dukkar Mar 16th, 2011 11:49 AM

Need to plan a last-minute trip to Caribbean in March-end or early April.

Hi:

Our two-week trip to Japan had to be cancelled because of the horrifying tragedies that have hit the nation. We were planning on celebrating our 10-year wedding anniversary with a 5-yr old in tow. Now that we have that time slot open, we were thinking of spending a week down in the Caribbean, but I am afraid it might not be the right time to go with the spring break crowds. We can travel anytime between March 25th through April 8th.

Are there any Caribbean islands that you can recommend where we wouldn't encounter spring break crowds? What about Jamaica, Virgin Islands (British as well as American), St Kitts-Nevis, St. Vincent and the Grenadines, Puerto Rico, Grenada, Turks and Caicos, Costa Rica (I know this isn't really in the Caribbean islands), etc.? I listed these only because I wouldn't have to worry about getting a visa (I'm not a US citizen) to visit these. But if there are other islands that you think are a better bet for families this time of the year, then I could certainly consider them and apply for a visa right away.

Please advise.

Thanks,
D

RoamsAround Mar 16th, 2011 12:06 PM

Avoid Cancun and Cozemel if you don't want to encounter Spring Breakers. You'll rarely find them on the other islands on your list.

Alan_CT Mar 16th, 2011 03:54 PM

Spring break should mostly be over by then. We just came back from five nights on Saint Martin, French West Indies. Great beaches for kids there, at Anse Marcel, Friar's Beach, Pinel Island etc. And fabulous food in Grand Case, where we stayed at the Blue Emeraude, www.bleuemeraude.com. Avoid the Atlantic side (windy) and the big touristy centers like Maho and Simpson Bay areas, unless you like that kind of thing.
If that doesn't work with your status, I heard good things about St. Kitts/Nevis. Friends rave about the Puerto Rico out islands.
With two weeks, you might go to two places; Sugar Mill on Tortola, BVI is very nice, www.sugarmillhotel.com.

dukkar Mar 18th, 2011 04:38 AM

Thanks for your replies. We would like to venture outside the resort (beach) as well to walk freely, absorb the culture, indulge in people watching and see local sites. For those reasons, Jamaica seems dangerous (based on what I have been reading) to wander outside.

Which islands would you recommend? Please feel free to list the islands outside of my original list (first post) as well.

Thanks,
D

RoamsAround Mar 18th, 2011 06:10 AM

First timers often have difficulty picking an island. The thing to remember is every island is different and no one islands "has it all". Your best bet is to do some basic research (a.k.a. reading) - start by using the Destinations link at the top of this page - click through to the Caribbean, then read the short descriptions of each of the major islands. Pick two or three that most interest you and concentrate your search to those. Don't worry about the rest or fall into "will the grass be greener on the other island" syndrome - you can't visit them all in one trip so why worry about them. That's the beauty of the Caribbean, you can visit a different island each year for 20 years and not come close to seeing them all.

Anyway, once you pick 2 or 3 do a google search using such topics as "Things to do on NAME OF ISLAND" - you can read more about what each has to offer. Select one that interest you and then start looking for resorts on that island. You can come back to this forum and use the search feature to bring up recent posts about that island and its resorts - you'll find answers to all your questions.

Odin Mar 19th, 2011 03:08 AM

Barbados is a good intro island to the Caribbean IMO, it has the beaches as you would expect, ie light sand and blue clear water but does not have the rainforests and is quite flat - Martinique and Guadeloupe have everything, culture,food, beaches, rainforests & activities, volcanos, great scuba (in Guadeloupe) and both islands have a high standard of living being part of France.

Grenada is also a great island too, has lovely beaches as well as mountains, easy to drive around, very friendly locals

Zachstickler Mar 20th, 2011 01:39 PM

You should also check Curacao.

OceanBreeze1 Mar 20th, 2011 09:03 PM

And, Aruba