Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Need to burn frequent flyer miles.. carribbean suggestions please!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18th, 2002, 07:07 PM
rose

Planning six nights in the Carribean, airfare is "free", so we're splurging on accommadations. St. Lucia(The LeSport), or Barbados(Almond Village)? OR..Aruba,Antigua, or St. Maarten? Would prefer inclusive resorts, unless you know something wonderful. Thanks for the suggestions!

Old Mar 19th, 2002, 05:01 AM
hmmmmm

OMG Almond Village or St. James Club in Barbados hands down for pure luxury. Both are all inclusive. The airfare is the most expensive part of vacationing in the Caribbean.

Old Mar 19th, 2002, 05:38 AM
eileen

I have been to all these islands, it really depends on your priorities. St. Lucia is the prettiest, but also the rainiest and the beaches are not as nice. I wasn't impressed with Antigua or St. Maarten at all. Aruba beaches are beautiful but it does not have a lot of high quality all inclusives and may be a bit too Americanized for you (Outback Steakhouse, Dunkin Donuts, etc.) I guess I vote for Barbados because it is a pretty island (not dry and scrubby like Aruba, SxM and Antigua), the beaches are nice and there is a lot to do if you want. I don't know much about the all-inclusives there although I hear Turtle Beach gets good reviews, its part of the elegant hotels of Barbados. Years ago, I stayed at Almond Beach Village when it was Heywoods and the beach was practically manmade and it was way off the beaten path so you might keep that in mind. I think there are better AI choices there. Hope this helps!

Old Mar 19th, 2002, 07:19 AM
Cindy

I have been to a lot of places in the Caribbean and it really depends on what you like. I like the Dutch influence so Caracao and Bonaire were my type of Islands. Aruba looked too much like the desert and not as Lush as St. Lucia. St. Lucia and Barbados are very nice islands and you may enjoy them. I have never been to Antigua or St. Maartan.

Old Mar 19th, 2002, 07:40 AM
ryan

Rose,<BR>I've been to St. Lucia, Barbados, St. Martin and several others.<BR><BR>St. Lucia, in my opinion is really not that great; especially when compared to Barbados. In fact, St. Lucia is the island I'd be least likely to visit again.<BR><BR>Castries is flithy. There is a lack or great restaurants and IMHO, the island caters to a honeymoon crowd.<BR><BR>I would highly recommend Barbados. The people are exceedingly friendly, the beaches are great, and it is easy to get around. <BR><BR>The thing I also liked about Barbados is the fact that it doesn't get overrun with people off of cruise ships (like Sint Maarten.)<BR><BR>Of course, all of this is just my humble opinion.<BR>

Old Mar 19th, 2002, 12:59 PM
Penney

We loved the feel of Aruba - great beaches and town area. In Antigua, Blue Wates looked so nice!

Old Mar 19th, 2002, 04:17 PM
Trish

Have been to St. Lucia and Antigua. We were really drawn to Sandals Antigua. They were very organized and had a good assortment of entertainment, but tranquility when you wanted it. We dream of escaping to the Carribbean every winter, and St. Lucia is the only place we have ever been disappointed in. Curacao was our most perfect vacation and since your airfare is free, you might want to look at it as a possibility also.

Old Mar 19th, 2002, 04:23 PM
Lynn

Don't waste your time.Go to Grand Cayman. Beautiful beaches and great resteraunts. Stay at the Westin Causarina althought I don't believe it's AI. The Hyatt is also nice but the main hotel is across the street from the beach but I believe there are some beachfront condo's.

Old Mar 19th, 2002, 04:30 PM
Lisa

Trish -would you go back to Sandals Antigua? When did you go? How were the food, service, and accommodations?

Old Mar 19th, 2002, 05:16 PM
Ashley

Definitely St. Barths (LeToiny or Isle de France) or Anguilla- Cap Juluca.

Old Mar 20th, 2002, 07:28 PM
ro

Thanks to all for the GREAT suggestions! Still planning..let you know how it goes!

Old Mar 21st, 2002, 07:09 AM
Gordy

Trust me.. stay in the Seabiscuit villa which is part of Hurricane Cove Bungalows in Nevis. If you want privacy, romance, people who still like Americans, wild monkeys in the rainforest, no one on beaches but you, no gambling resorts, conservative natives with values, great restaurants, the ability to get fresh lobster from the fishermen for $4 / pound, a volcano you can climb and see 6 other islands from the top...and so on. If you want more, email me. I've been all over the Carib and this is the best I've been to so far.. the way the Carib used to be 30 years ago. Nice place.