Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Need suggestions for vacation (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/need-suggestions-for-vacation-285409/)

jnguyen13 Feb 6th, 2003 01:39 AM

Need suggestions for vacation

I need some help on where to go for Spring break. My fiance and I have a week off in March for Spring break. We want to go someplace warm, near the beach, just hang out and not do too much. The only problem is we're on a tight budget. We want to go somewhere that's relatively cheap. Airfare isn't too much of a concern, just hotels and cost of food, etc. Right now, I'm looking at Puerto Rico and the Bahamas. Are there any other places we should look at in the same region?

Callaloo Feb 6th, 2003 03:08 AM

I would suggest the Out Islands of the Bahamas as well. Shortly after I got married (but still while in grad school), my hubby and I went to Eleuthera for spring break, and did a whole lot of nothing -- it was an experience that set the baseline for all future "Island Time" trips. Since then, we've been to other islands, and I've come to prefer the Abacos -- much like Eleuthera in some ways in terms of being relatively undiscovered and undeveloped with stunning beaches and waters, but with (IMHO) the added advantages of having somewhat more infrastructure for travelers (a few more restaurants, a handful of bars) and having a number of islands from which to choose, each accessible to the others, but compact and more easily explored than 100+ mile long Eleuthera. You might be able to find a cottage or small villa, or a small resort to fit your budget, do some cooking on your own to cut down on dining costs. Check out www.abacobard.com for an active and informed group of Abaco lovers.

Morgan Feb 6th, 2003 04:49 AM

You get the most bang for your buck in Cancun, Jamaica and the DR. Also, at this late date it might be a matter of where you can get a reservation as Spring Break time fills up quickly and it is also still high season so prices are high.

Scott66 Feb 6th, 2003 05:14 AM

You may also want to check out Belize. Very laid back, and can be very cheap.

Penpen825 Feb 6th, 2003 12:50 PM

Negril, Jamaica has become a very popular place for spring breakers as well. Jamaica is one of the more affordable islands in the Caribbean too and there are many resorts that are more affordable.<BR><BR>Try looking at www.negril.com

wantsomesun Feb 6th, 2003 03:29 PM

I would suggest going to a couple of travel agents in your area and see if they have any package deals left. Most of the well known resorts will be full already for Spring Break, a travel agent would have some updated info and can tell you what might be available.<BR><BR>Also check with some of the other online sites, like www.libertytravel.com, American Airlines, US Air, Continental and Delta.<BR><BR>Good luck.