Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Need suggestions for short break from NYC (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/need-suggestions-for-short-break-from-nyc-286854/)

Ratchie Feb 10th, 2003 10:10 AM

Need suggestions for short break from NYC

Hello. I was wondering if some of you experienced Caribbean travelers could offer me some advice. My husband and I are planning to take a short break--3 nights/4 days is all that we can get away for. We are traveling from NYC. We would like to go somewhere that is not too far away and quiet with a good beach that we can walk to (and not all-inclusive). <BR>We had been thinking about Turks &amp; Caicos since it is only about 3 1/2 hours away, direct. But, all of the return flights leave in early afternoon, essentially making the 4th day all travel.<BR><BR>I was wondering if someone might have another suggestion.

wantsomesun Feb 10th, 2003 12:31 PM

Ratchie,<BR><BR>You should get in touch with Liberty Travel here in the city. They have some good deals to the carribean. We have used them several times and have been very pleased.<BR><BR>On your quick trip. Try Compas Point on Nassau. It is away from downtown and closer to the airport, but the noise will not be intrusive. There is a good restaurant there, so you don't have to go far. <BR><BR>If you want to go downtown for some siteseeing. You can take the local jitney for $1.00 and it runs all day.<BR><BR>The beach at Compas Point is nice and secluded, so you will have some nice time to yourselves. The accomodations are bungalows right on the beach, very bright and colorful.<BR><BR>Delta has an early am flight, I think it leaves at 7:30am out of LaGuardia, not sure what time the last flight leaves to come home. Or you can take American Airlines to Miami and take a plane over to Nassau. There are very late American flights out of Nassau and you should be able to connect to a later flight out of Miami home.<BR><BR>Hope this helps, have a great time.

jayded1 Feb 10th, 2003 12:33 PM

Try Bermuda, it's only a 1.5 flight from NYC, depending on your budget look at Grotto Bay, Elbow Beach, Fairmont, or The Reef's. You can get more info from www.bermudatourism.com<BR><BR>I hope it helps!<BR>jayded1

Ratchie Feb 10th, 2003 01:46 PM

Thank you! I will check out both of those suggestions.

penny Feb 10th, 2003 04:14 PM

Bermuda would be great, its too chilly now to swim, if later in the year its a great choice from late May to mid-October!

sarajkl Feb 11th, 2003 05:57 AM

I would look into Puerto Rico- direct flights depart every hour from NYC. Time spent travelling is minimal and can usually get some great packages (I would suggest www.aavacations.com) Plus, it is warm is Puerto Rico- 80's. Bermuda is too chilly unless you are going in April.

Penpen825 Feb 12th, 2003 01:45 PM

wantsomesun has the same suggestions I was going to offer. Liberty Travel has some great deals and have also been please with them.<BR><BR>Also agree on Compass Point. It is a smaller more intimate property, very close to the airport so les time traveling and is just adorable. Food is excellent, it is a very private property, not alot of people and the brightly colored huts and cabana's are great.<BR><BR>You can also look into Jamaica but since you are going for a short trip, you stay in the MoBay area. Half Moon is a great property as is the Ritz.<BR><BR>Penney

Ratchie Feb 12th, 2003 05:27 PM

Thanks again for all of your suggestions. We decided, based mostly on flight schedules, to go to Tortola, BVI. We'll be there by lunch time and get to come back at night on Sunday. We're really looking forward to a long weekend of relaxing. <BR><BR>Thanks again for your help.<BR><BR>