Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Dom.Republic=Riu Merengue - anyone been???

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11th, 2000, 05:40 PM
leslie

My cousin is getting married April 29th and is considering Riu Merengue for her honeymoon. She is mostly interested in finding out how the following rates: <BR>1)hows the food & drink <BR>2) swim up bar? (smile) <BR>3) great beach & pool? <BR>4) what was your impression of the island (in general)-she didn't like Cuba (or the food) and is hoping Dom.Republic can offer the same affordable pricing with better luck... <BR>All comments welcome. <BR>She is booking this week, so please respond a.s.a.p.

Old Jan 12th, 2000, 04:04 PM
becky

Hi. WE've been to Riu Merengue twice & just think it is the most gorgeous place. We have sent many friends there, who also love it! It is only about 3 years old. I have a long review (as do many others) on this website, which is extremely informative: <BR>http://www.debbiesdominicantravel.com/ <BR> <BR>We've been to 4 islands---DR is quite poor & the town of Puerto Plata hasn't got alot to offer---we did enjoy hiring a guide who took us around. The shopping, for amber & the blue stone, good. We loved Riu Merengue so much that this year we are going to either the Riu Palace in Punta Cana in DR or the Riu Palace or Riu Yucatan in the Playacar area of Mexico.

Old Jan 13th, 2000, 04:49 AM
leslie

Thanks for your help. Maybe I can help you with your decision... <BR>My cousin actually went to Rui Yacatan/Tequila (not sure which one: the one more for couples) and just LOVED it. She actually thought about returning there for her honeymoon but unfortunately it is already all booked for their dates.... she said it was a great resort and the food was great. <BR>She is hoping Rui Merengue will be comparable in food/drink, and beach... <BR>Again, thanks

Old Feb 10th, 2000, 11:54 AM
Celine

Leslie, <BR>We've been to the Riu Merengue last February and are going back for 2 weeks (leaving Feb. 21st). The place is nothing less than awesome. <BR>The resort is a 5 star and lives up to it. <BR>The grounds are immaculately groomed every day. <BR>The beach/pool are cleaned every night. <BR>The food is great. <BR>They entertain you day and night. <BR>The people are friendly. <BR>The drinks are great. <BR>There are water sports, tennis, volleyball, aerobics (pool and beach, disco....Need I say more..... <BR>However, wherever your holiday takes you I hope you have a wonderful time.... If you end up at the Riu I know you will love it.... chow

Old Apr 9th, 2011, 05:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I’ve been to both Riu Merengue and Riu Bachata. Riu Merengue is older and less luxurious, definitely not a 5 star resort. The beach, the water and the sand are the same. Beautiful place. Take a look here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OeIhspttmw