Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Need recommendations for villa at Mahoe Bay, Virgin Gorda (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/need-recommendations-for-villa-at-mahoe-bay-virgin-gorda-905723/)

lisa Sep 10th, 2011 03:57 PM

Need recommendations for villa at Mahoe Bay, Virgin Gorda

Last year we went to Mango Bay and loved it, especially its location on Mahoe Bay with its calm water and good snorkeling right out the door. This year we are considering going back, but with some close friends -- another couple and their three kids. For that reason we are considering renting a villa that we can share. We need at least 4 bedrooms and 3 bathrooms and would like it to be directly oceanfront on Mahoe Bay (not one of the ones set farther back or with stairs to climb down to the beach), and good sunset views are a high priority. Aquamare is out of our price range. Some of the villas there that are in our price range include Sea Palms, Sea Fans, Villa on the Beach, Beach Dreams, Beachcomber, Caribbean Wind, and Sandcastle. (There may be others that we don't know about and we would appreciate any additional recommendations.) Has anyone here stayed at any of those or does anyone have thoughts? The pool is not a high priority for us, as we expect to spend most of our time in the ocean, but kayaks would be nice.

Thanks in advance.

RoamsAround Sep 10th, 2011 04:46 PM

We stayed at Beachcomber and it was one of the best villas we ever rented. It's all on one level, true beachfront - you walk from the doors of the villa across the garden right out to the beach - no stairs. The main building has two master suites with private baths and an additional double bedroom with its own bath. There's a second building just steps away on the other side of the pool that separates the two buildings with a third Master suite, small kitchenette and bath plus an additional double bedroom w/bath. Fantastic views of neighboring islands and depending on the time of year you go the sun could be setting right outside the back doors or it may be somewhat to the left as you are looking at the water. It's perfect for your group. Honestly, it doesn't get much better anywhere in the Caribbean.

We looked at Beach Dreams which I recall as being next door or one villa away and it was every bit as nice - just slightly smaller. FYI, all of the Villas on Mahoe are upscale and well maintained. You'll be happy at any of them.

virginia Sep 11th, 2011 05:08 AM

fodorite kellybeaches stayed in Caribbean Wind in '06 and loved it. she has a trip report but i can't get the search system to find it - i'm sure she will when she sees your post.

ejcrowe Sep 12th, 2011 09:43 AM

I stayed at Adagio, a 5 bedroom villa at Mahoe, but it was one villa back from the beachfront villas and thus about a 2 minute walk. We loved the views from our space. Each bedroom had its own bathroom, I believe, the pool was a pretty good size, and out door living spaces were fabulous.

If you love the look of Aquamare, take a look at LuxuryLink, a reputable auction package site, where it's frequently listed. The reduced auction rates might bring it down to your price range.

RileyD Jan 25th, 2012 07:08 AM

We stayed at Villa LaVida, which is in Nail Bay and is a few minutes up the road from mahoe bay. We went for a family reunion and found that the five bedrooms and huge living areas made it so that we never felt cramped. The children spent equal time in the pool and on the beach. We loved having the beach to our selves! The staff was great and helped us plan island activities. We loved it and can't wait to return! We worked with the owners directly through their site and got a break in price. Www.villalavida.com

Hope that helps!