Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Need recommendation for 7 mile beach (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/need-recommendation-for-7-mile-beach-134481/)

Rich Jan 3rd, 2002 04:21 PM

Need recommendation for 7 mile beach

Please help. Need a lodging recommendation for 7 mile beach on Grand Cayman Island. All I require is a nice beach and a good value. Hyatt is charging $270 a night which is a little too much.

N Jan 3rd, 2002 06:58 PM

Check out caymanvacation.com

xxx Jan 3rd, 2002 07:01 PM

Don't stay at the Marriott - there is no beach.

Sa ndy Jan 5th, 2002 04:59 AM

Rich,<BR>You could check out the Westin or maybe even a condo on 7MB. Look for accomodations that are further north on 7 Mile, since they have better beaches. I agree with poster who said stay away from the Marriott. Another site to look at is, www.gotocayman.com, tons of info on rentals. Good luck,<BR>Sandy

Tom Jan 7th, 2002 04:20 AM

If you want value, I would suggest you check out Comfort Suites.<BR><BR>The rooms include a mini-fridge, a microwave and a coffee maker. Continental breakfast is included.<BR><BR>To get to the best part of 7 Mile beach, you have to walk about 5 minutes (past the Marriott).<BR>

scott Jan 12th, 2002 06:27 PM

Rich where did you see a rate of $270 for the Hyatt? That sounds like a bargain compared to what I've seen.

Michael From New York Jan 14th, 2002 11:23 AM

On most of the pages for hotels in the Caribbean - the prices are listed in ranges:<BR><BR>example: 270-1500 <BR><BR>Meaning that the Hyatt Chain might offer a standard room with no frill during low season at that low price. Right now is the HIGH season, so no way you stay at the Hyatt for that money now. In July mabe...<BR><BR>M<BR><BR>

cc Jan 16th, 2002 07:40 AM

Hello all budget travelers going to GC. Stay at the Holiday Inn!!! We just got back and paid $150 for an ocean front room on 7 mile.(Get a priority club card for a free upgrade) It is a brand new hotel with a great beach, great snorkeling, great swimming and a great little beach bar. You really can't beat it. It is toward the north end, but there is a little bus service that will take you anywhere along the strip for 2 bucks. You can rent the fridge for $5 a day. We packed an extra little suitcase with cereal, tuna, snacks, licquor, etc for breakfast and lunch then used it for souvenir space on the way back. Everything is very expensive on that island, and I personally would not chose it if it were not for the excellent diving. Have fun and good luck. P.S. Check out Neptunes for a good restaurant within walking distance. Also, Fidel Murphy's has free food (!)on Fri form 5 to 7pm.

roger Jan 19th, 2002 04:14 PM

Rich,<BR><BR> The Holiday Inn has no beach front rooms. In fact it is on the wrong side of the road. Previous respondent was having to cross the main street to get to the beach. <BR> I highly recommend you check out the condos on the north end of the beach. They are larger, quieter and cheaper than any hotel. True, you don't get room service, but they have kitchens. The beaches at the hotels are crowded, very crowded. At the condos, you pretty much have the beach and the pool to yourself when out of season. In season, it is bearable. If you want action, you can always get to the hotels while walking the beach. <BR><BR>Roger

Cheryl Jan 21st, 2002 05:16 AM

I was in Grand Cayman last May and while I didn't stay at these properties, I checked them out for a future trip ... all looked nice and were on a beautiful stretch of beach. Also, all have gotten good reviews on this board in the past.<BR><BR>Hotel/resort - Westin<BR>Condos - AquaBay, Plantana, Discovery Point<BR><BR>I walked down to the beach area where the Hyatt is. It is very crowded with the beach chairs literally lined up in rows, one next to the other, arm-to-arm. It looked like that's where they had to stay. The Westin's beach was nice, lots of people, but not as crowded as the Hyatt's, and it seemed you could place the beach chairs as you like on the beach. The beach by the condos I mentioned about were all really nice with hardly anyone on them ... this was in May. It may be more crowded depending if you go during a holiday week.

juli Jan 21st, 2002 06:42 AM

I loved the hyatt and when we where there is Aug. it wasnt crowded at all. I know it gets more crowded in peak season but friends who go at both times and stay at the Hyatt say it never gets as crowded as the beaches here in NJ do. So I guess I am just used to it. We stayed in the regency club on the highway side and it was amazing. We had tons of complimentary food so we never had to buy breakfast, or any beverages. The grounds could not have been more beautiful.<BR><BR>You can move the beach chairs where ever you like no one will yell at you. It was so hot when we where there (120 degrees) that I never sat in them for more then a few minutes anyway. I thought the room was nicer then the average hotel room. <BR>The pool areas where so pretty and I liked to stay on the highway side because the pool area was always less crowded. I also didnt mind the walk. It took maybe 5 minutes from our door to the sand, if that. Hardly an inconvience.<BR><BR>We had the option for the ocean front suite and I prefer the regency club. I have never stayed at the Westin but know there pricers are slighly higher then the Hyatt and I plan to check them out on my next visit.