Reload this Page >

Need Opinions on Trip Insurance

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 8th, 2002, 10:29 AM
Cissy

Where do you buy your trip insurance, and how can you make sure it covers trip cancellation due to weather? Thanks

Old May 8th, 2002, 10:31 AM
Nancy

You can buy it through the tour company you book with.<BR>I used ot buy it but never used it and it was $40 per person, so I quit.<BR>I'm not sure if you can buy one that covers weather - act of God stuff - I think it's mostly for medical emergencies, etc.

Old May 8th, 2002, 10:46 AM
Eva

You can indeed purchase trip interruption insurance which covers weather events. One on-line source is at www.travelguard.com; I've also had policies issued through BerkeleyCare which I purchased through my travel provider. Whatever you do, read the policy carefully to know what it does and doesn't cover.<BR><BR>In my case, among other claims, I have collected on a policy when I was stuck in the TCI while there was a blizzard on the East Coast which stranded airplanes (boo hoo) -- it covered my extra days' hotel, meals, car rental, phone costs, etc. Another time, I was in the BVI during a hurricane, and the policy covered missed sailing days and other expenses which my charter company didn't reimburse.<BR><BR>Just be careful to save documentation, because your carrier will want evidence of your having paid for the trip in the first place, and then the losses you incurred.<BR><BR>Trip interruption insurance is different from trip cancellation insurance and trip delay insurance; many policies combine all of the above.

Old May 8th, 2002, 10:53 AM
susan

I'd make sure you get the insurance. You never know when an emergency can arise.

Old May 8th, 2002, 09:39 PM
I Don't Know

HOw much does trip interruption insurance cost? (Assuming a hurricane in November?!?)

Old May 9th, 2002, 07:21 AM
anon

Mase damn sure it covers hurricanes.<BR><BR>We always get the insurance. It is based on the cost of your trip. We usually pay between $50 and $100 PP, but if you ever have a major screw up you will be glad you had it. They even have policies now that if you pay at the time you book your trip, will cover pre existing conditions.<BR><BR>We had a "fubar" on one trip and ended up paying an extra $800 out of pocket, and we were reimbursed by the insurance. You have to file a claim and they treat you like a criminal, but eventually they pay! LOL

Old May 9th, 2002, 01:51 PM
curiousx

The first time I ever took out emergency health insurance, it turned out I had to use it. I would have been stuck for about $20K worth of expenses otherwise. <BR><BR>The company (Global) was first rate. They not only arranged emergency transport out of a remote location, but also took care of all bills...I had minimal financial outlay myself, and even that was reimbursed promptly. I was very impressed. <BR><BR>Now I won't leave home without it.