Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Need opinions about Westin villas on St. John vs. the Ritz on St. Thomas.

Mar 10th, 2000, 12:11 PM
Sherri Lovely

My husband and I are trying to decide between the Ritz on St. Thomas, and a villa at the Westin on St. John. I'm reading mixed views on the Westin (romm size, beach, etc.), but am wondering if the villas on the property might be nicer.

We like a good beach, some seclusion, and a nice place to stay. It's our first trip to the Caribbean. Any advice is appreciated.

Mar 13th, 2000, 11:44 AM
Laura

I am far from an expert on the Westin but did stop by briefly recently. I don't know anything about the room size but the beach seemed fairly nice (although it is man made). I'm not sure the views from the villas would be the best since the Westin seemed relatively low-lying. Also, we were a little put off by all of the activity there (crowded pool, kind of a "health club" feel with everyone running around in workout clothes. The villas at Gallows point looked roomy and that "resort" has the best view of the sunset. It is on a tiny rocky beach though so you would need to travel to the north shore beaches. We stayed at a lovely small villa that was right on a rocky beach and wouldn't have changed a thing. We rented a jeep so we took off for the best beaches each day for snorkeling and sun. Hope this helps. My only advice would be to think twice about large resorts like the Westin or the Ritz if you really want seclsion. We're spoiled after a very private 10 days in paradise!

Mar 13th, 2000, 01:45 PM
Sherri Lovely

Thanks, Laura! We've received so much great advice from this website, I'm telling everyone about it.

We are reconsidering our stay at the Westin now, in lue of a villa on the north shore...we are looking for a good location now.

Thanks again!

Mar 14th, 2000, 04:35 AM
Karen

Laura gives good advice! I would avoid the Westin ... the beach is at the bottom of the list when it comes to St. John and the villas are across the road from the resort so that you have a very long walk or need to drive to the beach there - or better to drive to the North Shore beaches! The Ritz is a beautiful property but it too is hillside with the pool being the focus and a smallish beach! Check out some of the villas if you don't want to stay at Caneel!!!

Mar 14th, 2000, 05:59 AM
Sherri Lovely

Thanks, Karen. My husband and I have decided on a nice villa on Cruz Bay, St. John. I'm sure that we are going to be much happier with this choice.

Mar 16th, 2000, 06:54 AM
Susie

Hi Sherri:

Which of the villas did you decide to rent. I am in the process of making arrangements for the month of June.

Thanks for any information.