Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Need Jalousie Hilton info... (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/need-jalousie-hilton-info-261307/)

Shirley Sep 26th, 2002 01:22 PM

Need Jalousie Hilton info...

Hi there:<BR>We are going to the Jalousie Hilton in St. Lucia in January for our 25th anniversary. Can anyone tell me - what is the difference between a Mountainview Villa and an Oceanview Villa; is there a dress code for the restaurant (ie does hubby need to bring a suit and tie?); how is the bus ride from the Hewanorra airport; does anyone have pictures of the villas they would like to share (send by email?). We picked this hotel based on all of the positive posts on this board, many thanks for the advice!<BR><BR>Shirley

Kaky Sep 27th, 2002 05:27 AM

Shirley:<BR><BR>My husband and I spent our honeymoon at Ladera right up the mountain from the HIlton but we did go down to the Hilton several times. WE have our pictures on line you can look at www.seashelltravel.com<BR><BR>The Hilton is beautiful. My best freind got married there the year before we did. They had a mountain view vill with plunge pool I think. They gotl upgraded too. I The HIlton is very hilly and everyone rides those small buses all over the property. I would think even if the view was mountain, the mountain you would be llloking at would be the Pitons which are out of thsi world. <BR><BR>You won't go wrong staying at the Hilton. Please do go up to Ladera to Dasheene for dinner with a out of this world view and the food is wonderful too! <BR><BR>Kay

penny Sep 27th, 2002 06:17 AM

The Jalousie Hilton, the former Jalousie Plantation, built by Lord Conner, was a big battle to build. The rooms are built up a steep windy road, so when you view the hotel from the water, they are well hidden. There are some lower rooms, a short walk to the beach, and a better location. Not sure what catagory this fit into, they were the cheaper rooms, as they did not have plunge pools! One of my husbands big<BR>disappointments, (we had a suite, and the BEST room in the house), had a beautiful view of the Pitons, actually right along side of it, and a nice view of the beach, but was not beachfront! It was quite a walk down, and forget about up! We had to depend on the jitney to catch a ride to the beach. We did have the most glorious<BR>poinsetta, about 8 feet tall, right next to our room! Very pretty! Our room had a beauttiful large dark green marble bathroom. I would assume most rooms are mountain view, as of all the flora and fauna!<BR><BR>Loved the spa, and the all the palm trees. Nice setting by the pool.<BR><BR>We have been to many islands, this wins the long windy ride award, form Hawanorra, so be prepared! You are winding up the mountain! Then you arrive and its a steep hill<BR>down to the hotel. I wish we had used the helicopter back!<BR>Do go to Dasheene for dinner, it sits right above Jalousie. The vista is breath taking! <BR>

Shirley Oct 14th, 2002 04:27 AM

Thanks for the information. Will share our experiences when we get back!<BR><BR>Shirley

justmarried Oct 14th, 2002 11:53 AM

We just got back for Jalousie last night. It's wonderful. We had a partial mountainview. The view was not the best, but it was private. We tried for an upgrade and they wouldn't do it for free even though they were only about half full. We got a great rate on the room at Hilton.com and that's probably why they wouldn't do it. We went to the beach/pool everyday and you can't beat the view from there. The restaurants are ok, but overpriced as I'm sure you have heard. You do need a pair of pants and nicer shirt for dinner. I did see people with shorts in the restaurants and no one seemed to care. A suit is going overboard though. Everyone was relaxad and friendly. We did the scuba course one day and that was fun. We also went to Ladera for dinner which was good. Spendy, for sure, but good. If you want to relax, this is the place to go. We had a great honeymoon at Jalousie.

Shirley Oct 24th, 2002 12:10 PM

Thanks "justmarried" for confirming what others have said about the Hilton, and for the info on dress in restaurants. I hope our 25th is as wonderful as your honeymoon was!<BR><BR>Shirley