Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Need info on Maho Bay in St. Martin (asap)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24th, 2002, 06:43 PM
Liz

Thinking of booking 10 days at Maho bech in St martin, How are rooms,staff,food and is it good place for kids.(ages 8,12)Is there enough variety and places to eat and also is the sand white or tan? Also the pool and beach looked far way from each other. Are they?Thanks for quick response.

Old Jan 24th, 2002, 07:04 PM
G

Maho is a great place. Right in the heart of town. Loud music till 1a.m. from Cherry's restaurant next door, but still pleasant with sliding door closed. Pool is very nice and refreshing. Beach is 2 mins away. Hotel is almost on the runway path for arriving planes. On takeoff, you can sometimes smell the jet fuel. Not really an issue. Many things to do in Phillipsburg (shopping). Would suggest making your trip 7 days instead of 10. Kids will get restless. No real water sports, surf is kind of rough there. Other hotels have calmer surf, but you can go there on day trips. Car is definitely needed. Food is fantastic on St. Martin. Make reservations when you get there. Great variety. Sand is pure white. Not great shell picking, but great views from beach of planes landing about 100 feet above your head!<BR>We go each year and have a great time.<BR>Good luck.

Old Jan 25th, 2002, 04:10 AM
kim

Take the 10 days, by the time you figure out the island, its time to go, rent a car, visit butterfly farm, zoo, go to pinel island, visit several beaches, kids will love the different beaches, legallion beach is great for walking out in. Maho area a great place to be don't be intimidated by planes, definately best place to be w/kids. We bring our daughter curently 9 and she loves it.

Old Feb 14th, 2002, 01:02 PM
Annie

I hope you realize that this hotel (Maho Beach) is at the end of the main runway and the planes pass overhead at a very low altitude. Glad we passed on this hotel after we visited it.<BR><BR>We stayed at the Great Bay Hotel and they had two pools - one for the party people and one for the quiet people, both overlooking the beach. <BR><BR>You can walk along the beach and drop in anywhere for a meal - breakfast/lunch/dinner - North American to international cuisine. I suggest that you DON'T go all inclusive. We saved $900 by not going all inclusive and didn't spend anywhere near that on food and drink - even eating at the best restaurants in town. The most we spent was $26 US on a seafood dinner at the Great Bay Hotel one Sunday night - it was the worse and most expensive meal we had the whole trip.<BR><BR>Of course, the 'all inclusive people' were trying to drink the bar dry by 10:00 am and throwing up in the pool by the evening.<BR><BR>Take an ocean view room - the mountain view leaves much to be desired and with the windows open you hear the industrial size air conditioner, cows, roosters, dogs etc.

Old Feb 15th, 2002, 04:56 AM
Barbara

the planes are not a problem for most people. they come in during the day when most people are on the beach.They do not pass over the hotel but to the side of the hotel In fact, a favorite thing to do is hang out on the beach by Maho and watch the planes come in overhead<BR>I live on the island and the best place for kids expecially is in the Maho area. there is lots to do there . be sure to rent a car so you can travel to other spots including the buttefly farm, the zoo, and parrot jungle

Old Sep 11th, 2002, 03:13 PM
Lynda

Is there lots of shade oa Maho?

Old Sep 11th, 2002, 03:14 PM
Lynda

Is there lots of shade at Maho?

Old Sep 12th, 2002, 07:31 AM
xxxx

<BR>why on earth would anyone waste their time in a resort that has planes flying so close? Is this someone's idea of a holiday???

Old Sep 12th, 2002, 01:05 PM
abc

obviously you have never been to the Maho, or you would realize its not an issue!!! Though I wouldn't wase my time on the beach there I would head over to Mullet or Coupecoy!!

Old Sep 13th, 2002, 02:58 PM
LA

Reply to: is there Lots of shade.<BR><BR>Went to Maho April 2001. I like shade also, but no the beach has no palaps or palm trees, however there was a local guy renting worn looking umberellas and rafts for US dollars. We rented them daily and enjoyed the beach. Fun watching the planes. Beach is small. Some shade at the pool/beach outdoor restaurant. Pool is nice, may get some shade spots by the pool, can't recall for sure. But the breeze is nice in St. Martin.<BR>