Cape Santa Maria Beach

Old Aug 4th, 2008, 06:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cape Santa Maria Beach

Can anyone talk about this beach? I have recently returned from Cap Juluca in Anguilla and am looking for another beautiful beach. The beach at Cap Juluca on Anguilla was the most beautiful I have ever seen.
Old Aug 4th, 2008, 07:17 AM

wbg9898, I haven't been to Cape Santa Maria yet (going soon), but I have been to Anguilla and to various other Bahamian Out Islands other than Long Island.

I can assure you that there are many, many Out Island beaches that are a match for any beach on Anguilla. Since Cape Santa Maria's beach is regarded one of the best in the Out Islands, I'm sure that it would be a match for any on Anguilla as well.

HOWEVER, on thing that separates the Out Islands from Anguilla is the degree of isolation. Most of the beaches I visited on Anguilla had at least a beach bar or two, or some villas, or a resort ... something. Cape Santa Maria has nothing but the resort, and a great many other Bahamian beaches have NOTHING. If that coincides with your concept of beauty, then I say choose an Out Island and GO. But if you need some amenities or activity, you might be disappointed notwithstanding the objective beauty of the beach itself.

Also, other than perhaps the Four Seasons on Exuma, you will be hard-pressed to find a resort or hotel that is match for Cap Juluca. If part of the attraction is the resort, you need to choose very carefully.
Old Aug 4th, 2008, 07:24 AM

Cape Santa Maria beach is about 7 miles long and has the whitest talcum powder soft sand you can imagine and it is lapped by clear bright torquoise water is calm. It's a geat beach. I hesitate to say it's one of the "ten best" in the world because I believe there are literally hundreds of "best" beaches.

I've followed your recents posts about your experience at Cap Juluca and your quest to find a better beach. The thing to remember is there are hundreds of great beaches around the Bahamas, the Caribbean and other islands around the world, they are not necessarilly better or worse - they are just DIFFERENT.

As "beach person" I have been travelled all over the world (and extensively through the Bahamas and Caribbean) and can tell you that it's a waste of time searching for the "perfect beach" as their isn't one but rather there are numerous beaches, each different and offering something special and unique. Do what I do, try to visit as many as you can in your lifetime - you'll be glad you did rather than confine yourself to only 2 or 3. True you'll find some you like more than others but that's a personal conception. It's a tough job but think how much fun you'll have exploring the beaches of the world.

Cap Juluca is on a wonderful beach but I've seen many many more that are just as spectacular.
Old Aug 4th, 2008, 08:37 AM

As a further comment, in one of your other threads you mentioned you were "so smitten with the water at Cap Juluca that I could barely leave to go to restaurants at night. Thus didn't see much of the rest of the island" - well if that was the case then you probably missed out on seeing many of the 34 other spectacular beaches on the island of Anguilla.

Have fun discovering all the great beaches out there but in your quest do spend some time and venture off the beach to fully explore the different islands you visit.
Old Aug 4th, 2008, 09:21 AM
Original Poster

For Roams Around,
Thank you for your very good advice. We will definitely spend some more time in Anguilla and then venture around the island some more. Are there at least a couple of nice resorts near this Cape Santa Maria beach, and if so what would you recommend? I don't mind being somewhat isolated as long as there is at least a good restaurant somewhere nearby and the resort is nice.
Old Aug 4th, 2008, 10:10 AM

wbg, I agree with callaloo's comments. The beach is pure white sand and beautiful. We also kayaked to a nearby cay. Very easy to do as the water is so calm. The hotel while nice does not compare to Cap Juluca. The bungalows are basic and right on the beach. The villas are really nice and may compare to the rooms at Cap. There is no pool (none needed in my opinion). The island is remote when compared to Anguilla. The restaurant at the Cape is adequate but could not compare to restaurants at the Cap/Anguilla. Few activities such as snorkelling/diving trips can be arranged.
Old Aug 4th, 2008, 10:36 AM

Cape Santa Maria Resort is the only "resort" on that particular stretch of beach. There are a number of rental villas along the beach, some pretty upscale. The only other major resort on Long Island (where Cape Santa Maria is located) it Stella Maris. It's on the opposite side (Atlantic side) of the island.

As others have said, CSM resort is not in the same class as Cap Juluca. Neither is Stella Maris. These are both 2 1/2 to 3-star accomodations at best. The only other options are rental villas (I use the term "villa" loosely), a few small inns, lodges and guest houses.

Food at CSM is averge to good but not certainly anything to write home about, especially if you are a foodie. There's not a great choice and/or variety of restaurants on Long Island - mostly local places serving local fare if, of course, they happen to be open when you are visiting the island. Long Island, like most of the Bahamas Out-islands is quite remote. To put things in perspective the island is about 50 mile long and has 80 miles of pristine beaches. If every resort, inn, lodge, guest house and rental villa were booked solid there would be less than 400 tourists on the island. You could visit an outlying beach and walk for miles without encountering a sole. The same holds true many of the Bahamas out-islands. They are as yet "undiscovered" - you visit them for the beaches, not for the restaurants.
Old Aug 4th, 2008, 10:48 AM

not sure of the distance but there is another resort near csmbr called stella maris resort club - they have a restaurant.
while not on long island, if you are seeking CJ level accomodations, you might look at one & only ocean club on paradise island (just off nassau). Very nice!
have you been to provo? grace bay beach is one of those that gets in the top 10 list every so often. lots of very nice resorts and plenty of excellent dining.
another choice might be maroma beach resort in mexico. not like CJ but very unique and on gorgeous beach.
Old Aug 4th, 2008, 12:05 PM
Original Poster

Anguilla was to me the most remote place I have ever been. So while this Cape Santa Maria beach sounds lovely, I might not be that happy there. I definitely fear my husband would not be that happy without alot of good restaurants to choose from. It might be that Provo is a better choice for now.
Old Aug 4th, 2008, 12:23 PM

For a great combination of attractive beaches, upscale resorts and fabulous restaurants (probably the biggest concentration of gourmet dining in the Caribbean) check out St. Barth's.
Old Aug 4th, 2008, 01:34 PM
Original Poster

okay roams around.