Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Need help: First trip to Parrot Cay w/o our kiddos (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/need-help-first-trip-to-parrot-cay-w-o-our-kiddos-689294/)

KaySi Mar 19th, 2007 02:32 PM

Need help: First trip to Parrot Cay w/o our kiddos

We just booked our trip to the Carribean and we are staying at Parrot Cay. My only concern is that we love to try local cuisine, and I'm not sure we will get a good representation at PC. How easy is it to get to the other islands? Do we need to book a ferry in advance of our trip? Can we take a ferry? We absolutely love seafood, and being from the Midwest, we really want to indulge while we are there. What restaurants do you recommend - we like fun, casual places as well as fine dining. We are fairly picky about our seafood.
This is a trip away from 3 lovely kids, so we are looking forward to eating out alone! Thanks for your help.

blamona Mar 19th, 2007 03:06 PM

Parrot Cay is on it's own cay (island), and other than private homes, the only thing on the island.

They have boats that go back and forth acording to having to pick up vacationers at the airport, and correspond with flights. They do not travel at night, so unless you spend the night in Provo, I would say other restaurants are out. They charge for transportation back to Provo if it's not for a flight. (Usually $50 per person I think.)

You're really close to North Caicos, but I have not gone around there yet, so hard to recommend.

There are no regular ferries between the islands, just excursions.

Prrot Cay will have plenty of seafood, but again, the only place to eat.

ExpertTripPlanner Mar 19th, 2007 03:25 PM

... and the food is spectacular (and expensive)!

KaySi Mar 19th, 2007 05:51 PM

Thanks for the responses. Have you been to Salt Cay? I was wondering if we took an excursion, if we would be able to hit a restaurant that way. Also, I don't think PC even has a vending machine, so I was wondering if you knew of a place we could stop to buy wine/beer/soda while we are there. Any suggestions? Thanks! Kay

blamona Mar 20th, 2007 04:31 AM

When you land, on the way to marina to take the boat to Parrot Cay, have them stop at IGA Supermarket for snacks. (If time allows it)

It's really hard to "day Trip" to Salt Cay, requires back to Provo, flight to Grand Turk (or Salt Cay if right day) then boat transfer from GT to Salt Cay.

You can "day trip" to North Caicos from PC, really just a stone's throw away-I have not eaten there though, so can't make recommendations. NC is very "sleepy" although there is construction going on of resorts.

If you can work it out (but my opinion to expensive for what you are doing) but day trip to Provo, and get a taxi to Da Conch Shack. Also try to check out Grace Bay Beach that day, which is a stunner.

Seafood is everywhere-won't have a problem with it-and conch is everywhere.

KaySi Mar 20th, 2007 09:54 AM

Thanks for the help! Is it easy to get take a boat from PC to North Caicos? Has anyone been to North Caicos and can recommend a few places to eat?

It sounds like the stop at the IGA is a must. So when we land, do we take a taxi to the marina? I guess if we can't make that stop then maybe we can find a place to buy stuff in North Caicos...?

BeachGirl247 Mar 20th, 2007 10:40 AM

We were in North Caicos for a week last summer. Its a sleepy island and there is no restaurant that is worth a boat ride. In fact, I only remember maybe 2 restaurants may 3 if you count the bar with snacks. That's it!

Also, you would need to have a car waiting for you and not sure how easy that would be. Its still a sleepy island.

Now, if you're looking for secluded beaches then that's where you want to go.

BeachGirl247 Mar 20th, 2007 03:39 PM

Looks like the St. Charles resort is now open. You could take the ferry over and eat there and maybe walk the beach. I don't know if they would allow you to enjoy their facilities for free but you could aways bring your beach towel and such to enjoy the beach there.

I looked at the website and that's the resort that was close to opening when we were way down the beach at Datai House in 2006.