Need help deciding between St. John's, Bahamas, Captiva Sanibel

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4th, 2004, 12:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I want to just get away from the city and chill out in a quiet island paradise (without going broke, there's the rub). Can someone suggest which desination will be most satisfying and also suggest where to stay (nice but affordable)? If we don't go to the Virgin Islands, are we really missing something special or is Captiva/Sanibel a lovely place too?
Old Apr 4th, 2004, 01:06 PM

Wow -- there's a range of options! I grew up in South Florida & even tho I love Sanibel & Captiva, they don't feel like special getaways to me. That said, I would choose Captiva as between the Florida islands & look at the Tween Waters Inn. I'd lean toward St. Johns otherwise because of that crystal clear turquoise water in the Caribbean -- incomparable!
Old Apr 4th, 2004, 01:48 PM
Sunnyboy

As a point of clarification, St. John is the name of the island in the USVI and St. Johns is the capital city of Antigua. I just wanted to be sure you got to the right place if you decided on a Caribbean trip.

I've been to Captiva, St. John and several of the Bahamas islands. To me, St. John far and away surpasses the others for its combination of great beaches, friendly people, crystal clear waters and shear beauty. If you research it carefully, go in off season (mid-April through August) and look for specials on airfares you should be able to do it without breaking the bank (you don't have to stay at Caneel Bay to enjoy St. John).

Old Apr 4th, 2004, 01:55 PM
Original Poster

Where would you recommend staying in St. John? The Westin still seems out of our price range? Thanks!
Old Apr 4th, 2004, 01:59 PM
Sunnyboy

Use the search feature above. Type in "St. John". You'll find numerous threads with specifics about where to stay other than Cannel Bay or the Westin. Also consider renting a villa. You'd be surprised how reasonable they can be for two people. Just keep your sights focused.

Old Apr 5th, 2004, 07:57 AM

I have been to all three as well. The Westin does have good deals in the off season. You might want to try Harbor Island off Eleuthera. We stayed at the Coral Sands and it was affordable. HI is a fabulous place with the most beautiful beach. Captiva/Sanibel are both nice, but can be quite crowded.
Old Apr 5th, 2004, 08:47 AM
bosco

If you are looking for something closer to home, consider Amelia Island in Florida. There is the Amelia Island Plantation or a couple of nice B&Bs for something different. Definitely worth considering.

Old Apr 5th, 2004, 08:55 AM
Sunnyboy

To Angelia: I see on the US board you have a post which implies you elected to go to Captiva. Is that correct?