Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   need good boat captain for snorkel trip (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/need-good-boat-captain-for-snorkel-trip-204502/)

senior02 Apr 23rd, 2002 12:56 PM

need good boat captain for snorkel trip

We are coming in on a cruise ship. Would like to hook up with a good boat captain to take us to stingray city. We would like a small group with individual attention. A couple of us do not swim well. Any other advise you can give would be helpful.

jodi Apr 23rd, 2002 05:49 PM

I have done Stingray City through Captain Marvin 4 times. It is defintiely a less crowded tour than some of the others you see. Here's a hint--the more cheaper the tour, the more crowded it usually is. It's a case of getting what you pay for. I've never had any complaints about Captain Marvin. They can even video tape your trip if you wish to purchase it.

Dee Apr 24th, 2002 09:05 PM

Would suggest you call Capt. Clinton Ebanks. We've gone with him for years - he does small groups and is great with people who are not sure what they are doing. I took a young gal once who couldn't swim and was clinging to me like her life depended on it (she had on a jacket). He got her away from me, calmed her down and by the end of the trip, she was holding my hand, kicking away and had a great time. His number is 345-959-1016. Have a great time.

leigh Apr 26th, 2002 02:21 AM

I cant remember which company we went with, it was just one offered through our hotel but it the price was around 30 dollars a person i think. The boat was pretty full but it wasnt too bad. If you have some people that cant swim well you dont have to worry too much since it is a sand bar and the water only comes up to about your waste and thats on a person about 5'5. There could be a lot of waves though but the sand bar is pretty large so you dont really have to swim except back to the boat. It is a cool experience, I have never seen so many rays and as big as they were anywhere else I have been.

Alex Apr 26th, 2002 02:02 PM

A great website to check out for cruise excursion tours is cruisecritic.com.<BR><BR>If you go to the "Ports of Call" forum, and click on Grand Cayman, you will see many recommendations there for Captain Marvin's tours.

Maria Apr 28th, 2002 08:33 AM

Captain Marvin's! Captain Marvin's! We used his service for Stingray City and it was fantastic - a most memorable and easy-going trip. Have fun!

Pat Apr 28th, 2002 08:10 PM

Just returned from GC and we went with Capt. Marvin to Stingray City. It was incredible. I would have liked less people on the boat, but he did have a young man taking a video of the entire trip that made up for all the people. We were told when we booked that there were usually less than 28 passengers. It turned out to be about 45. I think we paid $32 US and the video was $45 US.