Need family caribbean destination

Sep 28th, 2005, 08:28 PM
Original Poster

Need family caribbean destination

Hi,
I'm trying to plan a vacation for March for my family of 5 (3 kids ages 19, 16, &12). I'm overwhelmed by the choices and don't know where to start. Nice resort or hotel on beautiful beach a must. Snorkeling opportunities preferred. Can anyone get me started with a destination suggestion? Thanks!
Sep 29th, 2005, 04:13 AM

I don't know what your budget is but consider the British Virgin Islands (Tortola, Virgin Gorda) or maybe Anguilla which is quieter but safe with nice people & gorgeous beaches. It's also pricey.
Sep 29th, 2005, 05:41 AM

I suggest you look at the Mayan Riviera area of Mexico (not Cancun), but south of Cancun. I can personally recommend the Barcelo Maya all inclusive resort as we have had 3 family reunions there. It is on one of the best beaches in this area with on site snorkeling. There is lots of water/land sports included including mini golf and their new resort (Barcelo Tropical) has a kids water slide in its pool. No fighting for lounge chairs or shade at this resort as there is lots for everyone. If you want to see lots of pictures (check sticky post at top of the below website discussion forum) and information on this resort. It is very good value for the dollar and has many repeat visitors.

http://www.unofficial-barcelo-maya.com/

There are other wonderful resorts in this area of Mexico and most resorts like the Barcelo have purified water systems at the resorts and also supply free bottled water. Lots to do in the area as well with Mayan ruins to explore, cenotes to swim/snorkel and eco/water parks to have fun in and shopping in the nearby town Playa del Carmen.

Hope I have been of some help. Have a great family vacation. Enjoy! 8-)
Sep 29th, 2005, 07:33 AM

I would second the Virgin Gorda recommendation. A villa on Mahoe bay of VG may work well. There is good snorkelling right off the beach. If you want a resort on the beach check out Little Dix Bay also on VG. Another option would be Caneel Bay resort on St John, 7 beaches on the property with very good snorkelling. I'm not sure of your budget. With both these islands you would have the opportunity to do day trips to other nearby islands. More so with VG. Good luck with the planning.
Sep 29th, 2005, 08:04 AM

Both Beaches Resorts are great!
Sep 30th, 2005, 01:02 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, everyone, for the great suggestions. Now I have a few places to "start". You've been a great help!
Sep 30th, 2005, 03:24 PM

How about one of the many condo choices on Grand Cayman? www.caymanvillas.com, has lots of info