Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Need expert opinion on moving to/working in Caribbean.

Aug 23rd, 2001, 03:10 AM
Jeff

Hey peoples!. I am 21 years old and in need of some information. I live in Prince Albert, Saskatchewan, Canada, and have lived here all my life. I find myself falling into a very boring, repetitive, routine and I want a change. Anyway, the reason I've wrote you is that for awhile now I have been giving serious thought to moving to the Caribbean. Unfortunately I have no clue where to start, who to call, or if it is even possible for me to move there. I will of course need a place to live and a job. Any information you have would be much appreciated, he Internet hasn't been to helpful so far. Thanks for your help.

Aug 23rd, 2001, 07:50 AM
xxx

Read "Don't Stop the Carnival" by Wouk first and foremost... Great insight!

Aug 23rd, 2001, 08:11 AM
bud

Jeff-1.learn to cook,wait tables,sail,paint,bartend-but be prepared for low wages.
2.give it 3-6 months,have that much money with you.
3.St.Thomas is a good start
4.surf web job sites,yacht crew websites, hotel job sites.
Many people try,few stay. Good luck
Read a lot of Hemingway.

Aug 23rd, 2001, 12:41 PM
tweedy

Jeff, I would suggest getting in touch with say Club Med, especially if you have a tourist related skill, like teaching tennis or something like that, also if you have a second language like French.

Other than that, you will probably have a difficult time, since in alot of the Carribean nations, you must be a citizen of the country to work or must be sponsored by a company.

Club Med hires folks for their clubs from all over.

Also living in the Carribean the wages tend to be low and rent is high and food is pretty costly.

Good luck with your search.

Aug 28th, 2001, 09:22 AM
jennifer brooks

Hi, Jeff,

We have visited the caribbean for several years and finally decided to move there permanently. After doing a lot of research, we decided on Roatan, part of the Bay islands in the caribbean. They are cheap like mexico, but beautiful like the Virgin Islands. Plus, they are close to Costa Rica, Belize and Honduras so you can do some serious adventuring in the jungles and ruins.

We just bought a lot on the island, and there are houses/condos for as little as $50,000 USD to buy, or rent for small apartments in the $200 - 400 dollar range per month. This is a steal anywhere in the caribbean. Right now, they are filming temptation Island so property values will eventually rise, but its great for us who want to own part of paradise now. It is also relatively easy to get residency status and work permits. Check out www.roatanet.com to see real estate listings and more info on Roatan, Utila, and guanaja (the three main bay islands). If you have any carpentry skills, electrician skills, teaching, you can easily find a job. e-mail me for the names of two realtors that I found to be the "best" on the island (and I talked to everyone