Need advice on St. Lucia/Wyndham Morgan Bay!!

Jul 2nd, 1998, 08:15 AM
Kate

Need advice on St. Lucia/Wyndham Morgan Bay!!

My boyfriend and I are going to the Wyndham Morgan Bay in a couple of weeks. However, after reading a few mixed reviews, we are a little apprehensive. Has anyone been there, and can you describe it? We are both in our early 20s and have not done too much traveling, so we aren't looking for the most posh luxury resort, but we didn't want a dump either. We wanted a good all-inclusive. Of course we don't expect it to be Sandals, but is it OK? We wanted to really experience the Caribbean, and we read somewhere that this hotel is very bland/American. Can you still get a flavor for the real St. Lucia?
Also, we've heard that the beach isn't great, but is it horrible? We're from New York and have never been in the Caribbean, so I don't know if we'd be able to tell if it were only an average beach. When people say it's bad, is it bad compared to the most beautiful beaches in the world, or is it bad compared to your county beach?
Also, any comments on the hotel and any trips on the island (or to nearby islands) would be appreciated. Thanks!

Jul 7th, 1998, 12:48 PM
Don

Hi Kate;

I saw your request for info on Morgan Bay and think that I can help. I was there last year. We have stayed at Le Sport (about 10 minutes away) and they offered us a free return stay if we went to Morgan Bay for our last few days (they overbooked a large group). We took them up on the offer. We LOVE Le Sport (been there 3X). Very quiet, private, nice people, beach,spa, staff, etc. So a comparison was hard.

Morgan Bay was OK, the food was actually better than Le Sport. BUT.. what you've heard is correct. The beach is not very nice. Small, not really any place to sit. Most people sit on a big lawn area near the pool. People playing volleyball, etc. Many Americans and Canadians and the place is BIG! Many units up on the hills. The rooms were very nice and also large, cable TV, etc. Staff nice, but we wouldn't return. We like a bit more privacy.

One day we walked over to Sandals (about 1/2 mile down the beach)(NOT a nice walk either-wouldn't do it again-a bit creepy). I had never been to a Sandals and it wasn't bad. I had expected lots of young people drinking in the pool, etc, but it wasn't that way at all. Very nice grounds, seemed like a nice crowd, etc. Beach was much better. You could actually walk on it for quite a stretch. You are much younger than me so might be interested in a bit more activity. When at Le Sport (mostly English, Germans, etc), we have never left the grounds during our stay(s).

We went to St. Martin in April (1st time) and also loved that. We stayed at a neat place on the French side that was mostly European. Nice restaurants and (should you like) bars, discos, etc in nearby towns. Not many gawkers on the beach (mostly topless, some all natural) but (surprising to me) very wholesome and a nice atmosphere. We hope to go back in December!

Hope this helps! Please let me know if I can answer any other questions about the trip..

Take care,

Don

P.S. If you're already booked and are going, I didn't mean this to say that you can't have a good time at Morgan Bay. We met some really nice people there and it is a safe and comfortable place, just not exactly our style.. Good luck!

Jul 17th, 1998, 08:14 AM
Pat

My husband and I spent our 25th wedding anniversary at Morgan Bay in April, 1997. We had a great time. The food was great - there are two restaurants. there were lots of activities - tennis, archery, excercise classes, volleyball and lots of water sports including water skiing. The beach isn't the greatest but its OK. There was always a lounge chair at the beach for us. The pool area was nice too. Entertainment every night that was good. The staff was excellent. Rooms were nice too. We took a day trip by boat that left right from the hotel to see the volcano and rain forest and went snorkeling at an excellenct beach (Anse Chastenet) and had lunch prepared for us on the beach. I think you will like it there. We certainly did and would go back in a minute. Hope this helps.

Aug 2nd, 1998, 06:15 AM
Sandra

We stayed at the Sandals-Halcyon, just down from Wydham, we met people who stayed first at Wyndam then came down to Sandals and they liked Wyndam as much as Sandals. Said there were kids there, but that it didn't bother them. Wyndam has lots of watersports-as for a flavour of St. Lucia, we didn't really find it at Sandals either. The food is too americanized, it was good but not truely St. Lucian, we spend our second week after Sandals on our own around the isand, and there we found more "St. Lucian" food and culture..fabulous, friendly island. If it weren't so small we would love to back, but in the 2 weeks we were there we did almost everything..have fun!

Aug 19th, 1998, 03:04 PM
Karen

Did alot of research on St Lucia. Seems Anse Chastenat is the place. Check out the rates on Villa Cloud9, a beautiful, privately owned villa at Anse Chastenat Resort. Go to http://www.ifb.com/st-lucia/index.htm and don't miss the trip report from the Tarquins at
http://www.erols.com/tarquin/stlucia/ Have a great time and let us know how it goes. Karen