Search

where to dive??

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29th, 2006, 11:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
where to dive??

I'm lookiing for somewhere to go in Feb. My husband and I have been to Bonaire about 10 times....love it, but wanted to go someplace different. We've also been to Grand Cayman, Little Cayman and Cozumel. I've heard a lot of good things about Turks & Caicos. Or what about the Bahamas, Curacao (heard the diving was better than Aruba) any suggestions?
Old Dec 29th, 2006, 11:58 AM

You should definetely consider Belize or Roatan, Honduras. We visited Anthony's Key Resort 2 times in pasy 5 years and are scheduled to go again in March. They offer a package that offers up to 3 dive trips a day, more than most people want as well as night dives a few nights a week. It is an all-inclusive less liquor and it is $1700/person , a bit less in summer, but very hot and humid then. That rate includes tax and service/person based on 2 in a Superior Cabin (these are Air-Conditioned and nicely situated). But you need 50% DEET from 3-4 PM on when not on the water. That's much the situation in Central America if you are fairly bite prone.
I think it is better than GC, Cozumel and Curacao.
Old Dec 29th, 2006, 12:05 PM
Original Poster

Thanks. I appreciate it. We had a group trip planned for last Thanksgiving, but everyone bailed. My husband has been to Roatan. And, since we have been to GC, Cozumel and Bonaire, I wondered about any other options. You think Belize over Turks & Caicos or have you been to T & C?
Old Dec 31st, 2006, 08:30 AM

There is very good diving on these two islands, as well.

www.sabatourism.com

www.statiatourism.com

Old Dec 31st, 2006, 10:00 AM

Take a look at www.smallhope.com in the bahamas. I thought the diving was excellent and no crowds. It is very dive focused.
Old Dec 31st, 2006, 04:00 PM

We just got back from diving in St. Croix- fantastic!!!!! Great coral and sea life.... boat rides were 15-20 minutes max to dive sites, shore dives... it was great!

I have also dove Australia, Coz, Thailand, Vietnam... lots of places And I was very pleased with STX.
Old Dec 31st, 2006, 04:02 PM

I would choose Belize over T&C.
Old Jan 1st, 2007, 11:48 AM

lux2dive: I would choose The Bay Islands. i.e. Roatan for one over T&C, for sure. There are several excellent little islands off the Belize coast that are comparable if not better. The one we visited 3 tomes, Lighthouse reef Resort-the nearest to the Blue Hole-closed last year for a mu;lti-million dollar renovation and likely expansio, When we went it accommodated 40+/- guests (in 24 units) in modest A/C unattached bungelows and 2 houses. They may be adding more but they have the land to do it if they only add 10-12 and still be an intimate with excellent 2 dive a day outings ans snorkel all-inclusive.
We are awaiting it's reopening targeted for the high-season of 2007.
Old Feb 2nd, 2007, 02:55 PM

We just returned from diving and snorkeling in Roatan at the Reef House Resort. There were many experienced divers there who thought it ranked as one of the best places to dive (short of Bonaire). Our new diver loved it! Check the reviews of the resort on TripAdvisor. The staff is wonderful!
Old Feb 3rd, 2007, 05:00 AM

Hey StanKase,
You weren't in Bonaire a couple weeks ago, were you? We met a couple on Bonaire and they just raved about Anthony's Key Resort. Have put it on my list of places to check out.
Old Feb 6th, 2007, 10:08 AM

If you like Bonaire I believe you will prefer Belize over Turks & Caicos. We went to Bonaire three trips in a row and then went to Belize and then Turks; next trip is back to Bonaire. The diving in Belize and Turks is very different then Bonaire. Belize and T&C will be boat dives not shore dives; and they both have larger marine life. We saw a lot of nurse sharks, goliath groupers, and rays in Belize and a few reef sharks in T&Cs. Belize (Ambergris Cay) is very laid back, sand roads and they use golf carts instead of cars. The food is good and the prices are reasonable. T&Cs is a much larger island with the feel of a large island; and it is expensive compared to Bonaire or Belize. T&Cs is easy to get to.

The diving was great in both places we just like the feel of the island in Belize over T&Cs
Old Feb 6th, 2007, 02:45 PM

Aruba is very well known for diving as they have lots of wrecks. Dominica is another good place for diving as the underwater landscape is very dramatic (volcanic), and they have marine parks, etc. Found lots of diving stuff at www.destinationcaribbean.net.