Reload this Page >

Nassau Mariott-have to stay, but.....

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 7th, 1999, 05:09 PM
Elaine

Must attend a conference for 3 nights in December. I have not heard good reports re: this hotel. My room selection is: standard, ocean view or corner suite. Have reserved the suite, but it can be modified. Is the corner suite worth the extra price and should my husband accompany me or just not bother and save the airfare. Thanks to all who reply.

Old May 10th, 1999, 08:25 AM
anna

I've stayed here twice & enjoyed the hotel & facilities each time. I've never had a corner suite but have stayed in the oceanview rooms & found them quite nice with wonderful views. I'm surprised you are apprehensive about staying here. I've only read & experienced good things here. Very nice & helpful staff, great location & an attractive property. Spend the money on the airfare for your husband I think you both will be pleasantly surprised.

Old May 10th, 1999, 11:30 AM
tweedy

Elaine, we have stayed at the Marriott twice and loved it both times. We were there in Feb 97 and Aug 98 for a week and had a great time. We had 2 different rooms, (we stayed for 4 nights and went to Harbour Island for a week and came back and spent another 4 nights) each time the staff happily gave us an ocean view room and it was very nice, big 2 double beds, stocked refrig, large bathroom, dressing area, hair dryer, iron and board and balcony with chairs and table. WE had no compaints at all. <BR> <BR>You may also want to extend you stay for a few more days and relax after the conference. <BR> <BR>When you get to your room there will be lots of brochures on things to do and see and trips to take, so you can choose what to do. We loved the restaurant Johnny Canoe's right next door at the Nassau Beach, good food and inexpensive. <BR> <BR>There are several good restaurants I can recommend on the island if you want to venture out, let me know. <BR> <BR>tweedy <BR>

Old May 27th, 1999, 05:46 AM
Elaine

Thanks Anna and tweedy for your endorsement of this property! <BR> <BR>Tweedy...I would be most appreciative if you could share names of the restaurants you like. <BR> <BR>Elaine

Old May 27th, 1999, 06:54 AM
tweedy

Elaine, there are several restaurants in the hotel, the buffet on the first level was good as was Bahama Mama. There is also a Chinese Restaurant that looked good and others told me it was good, but we didn't get a chance to try it. <BR> <BR>There are several good restaurants next door at the Raddison and on the other side at the NBH, there's Johnny Canoe's. <BR> <BR>If you want to venture out, go downtown to Cafe Matisse, it was excellent, and some evenings there is live music. We thought the food and service were great. <BR> <BR>For a quick good lunch downtown or for a snack go to the Junkanoo Cafe, they have the BEST conch fritters and burgers in town, it is right next to the Straw Market and is an outdoor cafe. They also make a great "Goombay Smash" my favorite. <BR> <BR>When you get to the hotel, make your reservations for dinner, for the rest of your stay. <BR> <BR>Also there is a consierge desk for trips and tours so you can pretty much book what looks fun when you get there. <BR> <BR>Have a great time in the Bahamas, and enjoy yourselves (even if the conference isn't much fun, the Marriott and the surrounding area is!) <BR> <BR>tweedy

Old May 28th, 1999, 06:56 AM
Elaine

tweedy, <BR>Have printed out your recommendations. Thank you, as I really would not have time to investigate once there. The weather in Nassau in December has to be better than the East Coast! <BR>Elaine

Old May 28th, 1999, 10:46 AM
tweedy

I know what you mean about the weather, we live in NYC. December here is pretty with all the decorations, but wait till you get to the Bahamas, all kinds of decorations up for Christmas, it's very big there. <BR> <BR>Hope you have a great trip and let me know if I can be of any more help. <BR> <BR>tweedy (email me if you get a chance) <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old May 29th, 1999, 12:37 PM
web

TWEEDY!!! <BR> <BR>How wonderful to see you have found this board! The world is no longer deprived of your expert Bahamian advice! Have missed your enthusiasm and light hearted ways ;-) <BR> <BR>Love, <BR>WEB

Old May 29th, 1999, 04:25 PM
tweedy

How nice of you to remember, and how are things in St. Thomas. Have to visit your neck of the woods (or I guess it should be ocean) one of these days. <BR> <BR>Hurricane Season in upon us soon, please make sure and keep your head down. <BR> <BR>Take care and keep in touch. <BR> <BR>tweedy <BR>

Old Jun 25th, 1999, 11:05 PM
Steph

My husband and I stayed at the Mariott for our honeymoon. We were disappointed with the service and would definitely try Sandals or Breezes next time. We ate at most of the restaurants and, whereas the food was good, we never got what we ordered! Each time, our order was wrong and this was at each of the restaurants! The food and drinks were very expensive. After our experience, we vowed to spend the extra money up front next time and go all-inclusive!