Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

My parents are going to watch the kids!! - help me choose a destination for parents needing a much deserved break!!

My parents are going to watch the kids!! - help me choose a destination for parents needing a much deserved break!!

Old Aug 6th, 2005, 09:34 AM
MK2
Original Poster

I've got a my kids staying with the folks for about 4 nights/5 days in Jan. 2006. Please help me choose where to go with my husband for a RELAXING time. Here is my wish list:

*Reasonable flight time from DC/Baltimore area(i.e. not over 5 hours)
*nice resort, easy to get to from the airport
*Nice beaches, good snorkeling, "low key" island flavor
*warm temps

Here's a little info about me. We've been to St. John twice and have absolutely loved it...would go back in a heart beat, however, the trip there and back can be time consuming with the transfer from St. Thomas, etc. I'm trying to maximize my time on the beach and therefore am looking for a place that doesn't take an hour to get to once we land at the airport. Went to Cancun two years ago and while that was convienent and affordable, I would love to find another place that wasn't so commercialized. Not sure about the Bahamas, Key West or much else...would those be warm enough in January (i.e. warm enough to be in a bathing suit on the beach?)

Remember...I only have 4 nights/5 days. My kids are 1, 2 and 3 (crazy I know!)..I need this break badly! Thanks for any recommendations.
Old Aug 6th, 2005, 09:56 AM

American Airlines has a flight out of BWI that gets to St. Martin (SXM) at 1:00 pm. It's a 20 minute cab ride to the French side. It's nice and warm there in January.
Old Aug 6th, 2005, 12:20 PM

Check out Idle Awhile in Negril,Jamaica. My husband and I are planning to go there in November and also have grandma to babysit our 10,8 and 2 y.o. boys.

Sounds like you are in deserving need of a break.(esp. with a 1,2 and 3 y.o):0 and I thought that I was a busy and stressed mom.
Good luck wherever you end up and hope that you find plenty of s and s
Old Aug 6th, 2005, 12:24 PM

MK2,

Have you hugged your parents today ?

What a lovely offer.

I don't think the Bahamas will be as warm as you'd like in January.

Enjoy the planning and I'm sure you'll receive many suggestions here.

Marion
Old Aug 6th, 2005, 01:19 PM

You definitely deserve a break! I think I've got a place that more than meets all of your criteria. Try Coral Gardens in Turks & Caicos (airport code PLS). It's about a 5-hour flight from DC, even with a plane change in Charlotte. Once there, the resort is only about 15 minutes from the airport and free transportation is provided. The resort is all suites, very lovely, right on a glistening white, talcum powder-soft beach. They have a wonderful snorkeling reef that starts 10 feet from the shore. Also, since it is on a large bay on the leeward side of the island, the water is almost always calm and very clear. The restaurant is one of the best on the island, and the beach grill is convenient for breakfast, lunch or drinks. They serve complimentary sorbet and cold towels on the beach each afternoon. If you can afford it, spring for one of the deluxe ocean front one-bedroom suites. You'll be blown away. We have travelled all over the Caribbean and stayed at some of the nicest resorts, and this is our favorite. Weather should be fine in January. Have fun!
Old Aug 8th, 2005, 09:05 AM
KDR

We did this exact trip in January (albeit our only son was 22 months old, but my wonderful mother did fly in from Texas to watch him). We chose Jamaica b/c of Air Jamaica's direct flight from BWI. We stayed in Negril at the Rockhouse, and had a wonderful time, although if I were to replan my trip, I would split my time between the Rockhouse in the cliffs and Idle Awhile. Negril is a little over an hour from Montego Bay, but not a bad ride at all (and we had prearranged transfers which helped). Another possibility in Jamaica is the Jamaican Inn--I wish we had given it more consideration b/c of the rave reviews it gets here on the board, but not sure how far it is from Montego Bay.

We were tempted by the Bahamas, but too concerned about the weather to choose that option. One caveat about Jamaica is the many problems some are having with Air Jamaica, and I guess the real possiblity that the airline may go under.

Enjoy! I found this board to be an incredible asset when I was planning my trip a year ago.

Kym
Old Aug 8th, 2005, 06:30 PM

Thank your parents - they are saints (mine will not take my 15 month old for more than 2 nights at a time).

Then take a look at Barbados - 4.5 hr flight from NYC, and I know there are non-stops from Phili (don't know about Baltimore/DC area - you may have to go through Miami). It's a small island and many of the resorts are within a 45 minute cab ride from the airport.

The West Coast of the island has a number of small, beautiful resorts - my favorite is the Coral Reef Club, low-key, luxurious and right next to a Marine Park with some wonderful snorkling.

The beaches on the west coast are wonderful for swimming and snorkling, but the beaches on the east (Atlantic) side of the island are a little too rough for my taste.

We were in Barbados last January and the weather was just perfect - it might have even been a little on the warm side.

Have a great time and get some much deserved sleep.
Old Aug 8th, 2005, 08:40 PM

Have a few suggestions on where to stay. We loved Antigua. We stayed on Dickenson Bay at Antigua Village. Bought it thru skyauction.com for like $35 a night. It was so beautiful and what a beach! Great dive shop there if you dive too. This beach is very quiet and lots of local flavor around. Also, check out my review of a place I stayed in St. Thomas. It was called Pineapple Village. Very peaceful and Coki beach is awesome!http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserR...n_Islands.html

http://www.cheapcaribbean.com/
also has great travel deals and packages all together. Sign up for their newsletter and also travelzoo. These are good ways to find deals and look for places to that fit your needs.
Hope you have a super time no matter where you go. Enjoy the silence for a while, but you will miss those kids. LOL.
Old Aug 8th, 2005, 09:02 PM

For such a short time you can certainly get lots of rest and relaxation in Playa Del Carmen. Last year we stayed at the Club Maeva Tulum and had a very nice time. The resort is all inclusive and the food was excellent. The staff are attentive but not pushy and the beach is beautiful.

During our trip I had a scooter accident in Cozumel, fracturing my elbow and had several areas sutured on my legs. The staff at Club Maeva took very good care of me till we left for the states and I was still able to enjoy the last few days.
Old Aug 9th, 2005, 10:41 AM

Hi MK2,

You have some lovely suggestions above, so I won't comment on WHERE to go but rather WHEN to go.

If you have the flexibility of going during either the second or third week of January, verses say over New Year's, you will find that pricing is much better.

My DH and I have been traveling around this time for the last three years and love it. It is a much more peaceful time, but don't tell anyone, ha, it will be our secret, hee.

I am so happy that your parents will be there to watch over the kids while you take this romantic getaway!

Happy journey, Tiff