Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   "Must-do things" in S. carribean??? (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/must-do-things-in-s-carribean-107615/)

John Feb 22nd, 2001 07:56 AM

"Must-do things" in S. carribean???

I am going on a cruise soon, and I wanted to get people's opinions on what we MUST see or do at these islands. My wife and I are in our late 20's. We are active and like to sightsee and do fun things. I know that this is a very subjective questions, but I still would like to know what people think. <BR>we are going to St. Lucia, St. Thomas, St. Croix, Antigua, and Barbados. Thanks for your help.

Larry Feb 22nd, 2001 08:30 AM

If you have enough time on St.Lucia, take a day sail to the Pitons (one of the most beautiful sights in the Caribbean).On St. Thomas,take an excursion to St. John. The beaches there are nothing short of spectacular!Barbados has caves and some great beaches. I'm sure the cruise director can help you choose based on your personal preferences.Can't help you on St. Croix or Antigua. Have fun!

Karen Feb 22nd, 2001 02:52 PM

Hi John: I must ditto Larry's advice, the cruise excursion to the Pitons is one of the best excursions offered in the Caribbean. You will also get a nice Caribbean Lunch and a swim stop and see the falls in Soufriere and the volcano. It is costly but it should not be missed. St Johns is great also we took a shore excursion to Trunk Bay and went snorkling. It included a really nice tour of the island as well.In Barbados on one cruise stop we rented a moke and went out on our own for the whole day,our ship stayed in port till 10:00 so this was the perfect opportunity to explore at our own pace. we hit farley Hill, cherry tree ill, Barclay Park ,bathesheba, Codrington colleg, many towns and beaches as well as Crane beach for a drink, Andromeda gardens, the Barbado Hilton for happy hour and sunset. What a great day. We have also go on a sailboat snorkling tour to the marine park which had a beach stop at Sandy Lane beach. This was a very well run excursion and good value. The boatyard restaurant is a good place to go for a little nightlife if you have a long shore stop. Have a great trip. Karen

Gail Feb 22nd, 2001 03:37 PM

I agree on the St. Lucia excursion. It's the land/sea excursion--part on a small bus, part on a catamaran. On the Galaxy it was $72 and well worth it.

John Feb 22nd, 2001 06:34 PM

Thank you Larry, Gail, and Karen. i will definitely do the St. Lucia tour and go to St. john's. I haven't decided yet on whether to take a shore excursion to St. Johns, or take a taxi tour of the island. Was it difficult to rent a car or get taxis at any of these ports?? How about driving on the left side of the road? Did you feel unsafe driving?

Larry Feb 23rd, 2001 04:15 AM

Driving on the left side is not the problem in the Virgin Islands, it's the hilly,curvy roads.Sometimes the natives will just stop to chat with a fried or maybe a herd of goats will be in the middle of the road! Taxis should be plentiful in Cruz Bay St. John. Just make sure you negotiate the fare before getting in!

Abigail Feb 24th, 2001 11:19 AM

Hi John, <BR>Before you leave on your cruise you might want to give my friend Roy Sheridan a call.I met Roy in 1995.He was soliciting at the dock when we got to ST. Thomas.I was so impressed with this man's intellegence that my group of friends and family hired him for the day at a rate that was equally impressive.From that moment on my knowledge and appreciation for that island and that man have grown in leaps and bounds.We see Roy every year and correspond with him regularly.I did not ask his permission to give his phone number out to the world so only use it if you want the best tour and shopping trip available.He is my best kept secret about St. Thomas.He has become part of our extended family and so ,like family,you only want the best for them.I hope you are worthy :340-776-1214.

Kurt Feb 25th, 2001 05:16 PM

If you do the St. John trip, I'ts beautiful, go to Trunk Bay. You won't regret it. It's a much nicer beach than you will find on St. Thomas. The whole island is a much nicer vibe. <BR> If you decide to just stay on St. Thomas, Sapphire beach is really nice. Reefs are close to the shore, its very pretty and places to eat. <BR>Magens bay is pretty , but not too much to snorkel, the water is extremely calm and warm(like a bath). The locals love Coki Beach also--Lots of fish, Coral world is right there too, and it's pretty cool. <BR>Hope this is helpful, <BR>Kurt

John Feb 26th, 2001 04:05 AM

Kurt and Abigail, <BR>Thanks so much for your help. It's nice to see there are lots of good people on the internet will to help. Abigail, I will try to call your friend. He sounds like a great person. Does he give tours of St. John and St. Thomas?? I know you have to take a ferry to St. John, but I was curious. Thanks again.