Reload this Page >

Movies - tropical theme?

Search

Movies - tropical theme?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13th, 2000, 08:29 AM
Colleen

Movies - tropical theme?

Hi everyone, <BR> <BR>Does anyone know of any good movies to rent that have a tropical theme to them? We're planning a theme night and would like to pick one or two good caribbean-type movies. <BR>Thanks!

Old Oct 13th, 2000, 08:40 AM
Arubasun.

The Beach of Leonardo Di Caprio should be one of those tropical movies...though it was made in one of the pacific islands. <BR> <BR>One of the Jazz movies was made on the Bahamas you would want to check that out also.

Old Oct 13th, 2000, 08:41 AM
Arubasun

Jazz suppose to be Jaws..mistake..

Old Oct 13th, 2000, 09:15 AM
penny

There is Captain Ron-about a inherited old wooded ship-Martin Short and Kurt Russel-sailing the schooner back to USA. <BR>Another stars Robin Williams also Twiggy. I cannot recall the name-a comedy where they save a resort. I think it has Paradise in its title. <BR> <BR>Also How Stella Got Her Groove Back-Shot in Jamaica. <BR>Six Days Seven Nights-Harison Ford -great tropical scenes-in the Pacific. <BR>Really funny movie! <BR>Older movie The Tamarind Seed-a mystery shot in Barbados. <BR>Do not forget about The Deep-shot in Bermuda another favorite of mine. <BR> <BR>I hope this helps you out-I love to ren tropical movies in the cold weather,plus we have the best video store. The owner is a movie buff!

Old Oct 13th, 2000, 11:48 AM
Eva

Don't forget the James Bond classics -- Dr. No and Thunderball, among others.

Old Oct 13th, 2000, 01:40 PM
Bex

The Mighty Quinn w/ Denzel Washington shot in Port Antonio, Jamaica. Previously mentioned Robin Williams movie is called Club Paradise, also shot in Port Antonio, Jamaica. <BR>The Harder They Fall, staring Jimmy Cliff. Filmed in Jamaica, by Jamaicans, about Jamaicans.

Old Oct 13th, 2000, 05:27 PM
Robert

My wife and I visit the Bahama Outer Islands. What's the movie recently made with Al Pacino, where he rents a cottage on a Bahamian Island, and a scene pictures him wading out in the Caribbean surf, talking to someone back in the states on his cell phone?? Well, the island is Manjack Cay, which is a little island off of Green Turtle Cay, which is another little island off of Great Abaco, an outer island in the Bahamas. GTC and Manjack Cay are both just north of Great Guana Cay, a 7 mile long cay off of Abaco, too. Any one know the name of the movie I'm talking about? I rented the video last month, but can't recall the name...great memory, just a little short and I have retrieval problems. Robert

Old Oct 13th, 2000, 05:38 PM
Meg

Robert - Is it The Insider with Pacino as the reporter and Cameron Crowe as the former cigarette industry employee?

Old Oct 13th, 2000, 08:04 PM
Mare

Weekend at Bernies 2 is set at the used to be Stouffers Resort on St Thomas USVI. I was watching it a few months after we had gotten back and thought the grounds and resort looked familiar! So stayed tuned and cought the credits. It is now the Renassiance tho! Movie so stupid it has to be funny!!

Old Oct 14th, 2000, 01:34 AM
Robert

Meg; Yep, that was the movie's name, The Insider. We rented a Boston Whaler and traveled to Green Turtle Cay from Marsh Harbor, the Capitol of Great Abaco Island, Bahamas, several times. Manjack Cay is a few miles off of GTC, and is desolate. You think you are Robinson Crusoe visiting it. The movie's cottage was a make-shift one, and when Pacino waded out into the ocean, a hurricane was approaching. You can tell when you see this part of the movie. Great Meg...you didn't have to make a phone call, try a 50-50, or phone any one! Robert

Old Oct 14th, 2000, 04:04 AM
Ronnie

That Jimmy Cliff movie is "The Harder They Come" I think and another hilarious Jamaican movie is "Smile Orange".For water scenes and beaches don't forget "Blue Lagoon".One segment of "Four Seasons" was filmed in St. John."Weekend at Bernie II"was filmed in St. Thomas, it's a hoakie movie but the scenery is great and the music too! <BR>Ronnie

Old Oct 14th, 2000, 04:38 AM
Penny

Lets not forget the great classic South Pacific!

Old Oct 14th, 2000, 05:23 AM
Anne

What about all those Elvis Presley movies. He did a few in Hawaii,the only one I can think of is Blue Hawaii,it was hokey then and is very very hokey now but the scenery and songs are fun. <BR>This is a great thread. <BR>Colleen let us know what you chose!

Old Oct 14th, 2000, 12:09 PM
Bex

Thanx for the correction Ronnie Its been a while since I last saw the movie

Old Oct 15th, 2000, 01:49 AM
Arubasun.

A must see! <BR> <BR>How Stell got her groove back! <BR> <BR>Shot in San Franciso together with Jamaica. starring Whoopi Goldberg, Angela Basset <BR> <BR> <BR>A New York Times Best Seller!

Old Oct 15th, 2000, 01:52 AM
Arubasun.

<BR> <BR> <BR> <BR>The title of the movie I have mentioned above is: How Stella got her groove back! <BR> <BR>It's very funny..

Old Oct 15th, 2000, 06:57 AM
ellen

The Bounty! Made around 1985, gorgeous, incredible south pacific setting, and as a bonus: Anthony Hopkins as a Captain Bligh you can (almost) empathize with AND Mel Gibson, Daniel Day Lewis, Liam Leeson young and shirtless!!!! (The tahitian women are shirtless, too.)

Old Oct 15th, 2000, 11:49 AM
Vanessa

I'm with Bex....my fave is The Mighty Quinn with Denzel Washington.

Old Oct 16th, 2000, 10:44 AM
Ryan

Lets not forget the classic "Night of the Iguana" set in Puerta Vallarta! Great film. <BR> <BR>Ryan

Old Oct 16th, 2000, 12:48 PM
ohliz

Cocktail (Tom Cruise et al, shot partially in Dragon Bay and Blue Lagoon Jamaica, both on the east coast) <BR> <BR>Most James Bond films, shot in Jamaica (Ian Fleming lived in JA for-almost-ever) <BR> <BR>How Stella Got Her Groove Back, shot at Round Hill resort in JA, near MoBay <BR> <BR>Club Paradise (the Robin W. one), shot in Jamaica, east coast I believe <BR> <BR>A real hidden gem: Countryman, shot in Jamaica - if you can find it it's a great one. <BR> <BR>I guess Jamaica has a lot of movie studios or editing facilities or something? A lot of films seem to be shot there...I notice a lot of records get made there too, especially but not only by British artists. <BR> <BR Liz