Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   MOST PEACEFUL ISLAND??? (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/most-peaceful-island-232703/)

Sammie Jun 19th, 2002 06:09 PM

MOST PEACEFUL ISLAND???

Does anyone have suggestions as to which island is the most private, non-americanized relaxing place to visit for a young couple? We do not want any high risees or big chain hotels. Something small and quaint with beautiful clear water beaches and friendly people. Thanks so much, this will be my fist trip to the caribbean-most likely going in september.<BR><BR>Thanks in advance!!!!

Sammie Jun 19th, 2002 06:41 PM

Sorry everyone, I didn't realize that there's an almost exact question like this one!!!<BR><BR>Cheers

Margaret Jun 20th, 2002 04:09 AM

Just in its setting, not the island itself is the Long Bay Hotel in Antigua off in a serene area on a beautiful beach setting--more like a large Inn. I think you would enjoy this atmospere.

Marla Jun 20th, 2002 04:11 AM

Just reading about a very small place in Tobago--The Seahorse Inn--also a restaurant--very nice beach setting.

Margaret Jun 20th, 2002 04:15 AM

Some resorts in the outer islands of the Bahamas are quiet--the Abaco Beach Resort in Harbour Island may be a good selection. Tennis, swim up bar, white sand beach, watersports, scuba, etc.

E.D. Jun 20th, 2002 05:54 AM

For several reason I would say head South in the Caribbean. First, it is less developed than the Northern islands; fewer American's because it is a little harder to get to; you are going in September which is around the peak of the hurricane season and the Southern islands are passed most of the time. I would say the Grenadines for several options like you described...Bequia and then even better down the chain. It is very relaxing but yet you can hike, walk, etc if so inclined. Even during the high season this year we had 3 out of 5 beaches to just us. Everyone is very friendly and you really get a chance to know people during your stay if you desire. Check out The Old Fort (www.theoldfort.com) and you will see what kind of places to stay. Loved that Inn and will be going back in two days. I warn you, you will be spoiled if you later visit the Northern islands. Good luck in your search and your trip.

Nikki Jun 20th, 2002 05:59 AM

Anguilla is the most peaceful, noncommercial beautiful island. best beaches, great restaurants, friendly ppl. No high rises, no chain hotels.<BR>be careful in Sept - it can be a bit rainy.

isle-guy Jun 20th, 2002 06:34 AM

Sammie,<BR><BR>Petit St. Vincent in the Grenadines, Young Island off St. Vincent, Nisbet Plantation on Nevis, Curtain Bluff on Antigua, almost all of the small hotels on the west coast of Barbados north of Bridgetown, Old Gin House on Statia, and I'd also look into villas on St. Bart, or Bequia, Mustique and Canouan in the Grenadines.<BR>Check out also Spice Island Inn on Grenada and Biras Creek and Bitter End on Virgin Gorda.<BR>Make sure you get trip interuption insurance as September is peak hurricane season.

Maureen Jun 20th, 2002 07:50 AM

The small intimate Peach and Quiet Hotel (yes, that's PEACH!) in Barbados is not expensive and definitely quiet (see Where2Stay.com for travelers reviews)--they offer packages as well as hiking programs for a week (extra cost). A British couple own this property.

Maureen Jun 20th, 2002 07:53 AM

Just another note that September is the hurricane season so it's best to stay in the Southern part of the Caribbean--Barbados, Aruba, Bonaire, Curacao etc. Other islands may not be in the path of a hurricane but you can get a lot of rain. We always travel in early December and usually have nice weather and we still get the low-season rates.

C Jun 20th, 2002 08:23 AM

Another vote for Anguilla. <BR>Yes September is in hurricane season, but the hotel rates are very low, the water is even clearer than in the winter months and every where is less crowded.

Donna Jun 20th, 2002 08:43 AM

Why does everyone try to avoid the American's? If you go to a small quiet island does it really matter who goes there???<BR>Just Wondering, I'm new to this board.

xxx Jun 20th, 2002 09:13 AM

I know I will offend many, but sometimes American tourists are very rude and inconsiderate. Sorry, you asked.

Uncle Sam Jun 20th, 2002 09:20 AM

No apology necessary xxx.<BR>This type of question is discussed on the Euro board on occasion.<BR>No question that Americans are overall the most rude, inconsiderate and disliked travellers in the world.<BR>That's just the way it is.<BR>No way to sugar coat it.

readit Jun 20th, 2002 09:26 AM

Donna and xxx, re-read Sammie's post. He (she?) wants a 'non-americanized' place. Meaning (s)he wants someplace that has retained its own heritage, one that hasn't sprouted KFC and McDonald's on every other corner. (S)he makes no mention of not wanting americans around. (S)he wants the authentic, old Caribbean flavor, and I can't fault him/her on that. It's what I look for also.<BR>But I do it with a little wrinkle. I look for places on islands that can't be reached directly by air from New York.<BR>That way I know I can enjoy myself without being subjected to the loud nasal brayings of "Why does it take so long to get a drink here?" or, "I told you we should have gone to Miami Beach!"<BR>or, "No television in my room? I hate this place, I've never been treated so rudely. And I'm never coming back!!"<BR>To my experience, this kind of tourist won't venture beyond that direct-flight island, and so I won't have to endure them.

Donna Jun 20th, 2002 09:37 AM

Thank you for your honest reply, no apology necessary. We are American and I can honestly say that I get embarassed at other's behavior. We travel where there are mostly Europeans and the atmosphere is very different. Very relaxing and peaceful people are more respectful of others. No yelling or loud talking it's actually lovely. I am not speaking for all Americans behavior, but I can certainly understand why we as a whole are considered boorish and over the top. <BR><BR>To answer the post I would have to say that I enjoy any of the British Islands. For September I would go as far south as possible.

xxxx Jun 20th, 2002 09:53 AM

Have you considered Positano in the Amalfi Coast-Italy? Also, Marie Galante in Guadeloupe.

xxxx Jun 20th, 2002 10:11 AM

For information on the french islands--Marie Galante, Les Saintes, St. Barts etc. go to frenchcaribbean.com

xxxx Jun 20th, 2002 10:20 AM

Where2Stay. com has travelers reviews of Les Petits Sainte Hotel in Les Saintes off the coast of Guadeloupe. Get info typing in information in Google.

american Jun 20th, 2002 03:36 PM

that's funny...i've always found the europeans to be the rudest...never que up..always barging to the front of lines...blowing smoke in your face...not wearing deodorant...etc.