Most luxurious 5-star hotel on Grand Cayman

Old Jan 16th, 2002, 06:17 PM
Gay

Most luxurious 5-star hotel on Grand Cayman

Need recommendations for best 5-star quality hotel on Grand Cayman..for husband and I. No kids, in our 40's..love spacious rooms/superb restaurants/service...looking for the "whole experience"...while I gather it's a given the beaches are wonderful..we want powdery white sand and snorkeling off the beach...is there ever any danger of sharks near the swimming areas here? My husband refuses to go to Florida,etc because of so many shark stories. We don't scuba,and will only do simple snorkeling from the shore. I know, we're skittish!sp.

Old Jan 16th, 2002, 07:34 PM
xxx

Gay, I'm afraid you might have to wait until 2003 until the Ritz Carlton opens. Nurse sharks only in Cayman, but the Westin is currently the best hotel on Grand Cayman. Still, the island (and its sister islands) is a great spot. Think about a condo-the Avalon is the best rental-and you will be wowed by many of the restaurants on Grand Cayman.

Old Jan 17th, 2002, 03:33 AM
Sandy

Gay,
Some people think the Hyatt is the best hotel on Grand Cayman, but I would choose the Westin any day!! Better location and right on the beach!
Sandy

Old Jan 17th, 2002, 04:38 AM
Cheryl

Agree with above poster ... for a hotel/resort would pick Westin over Hyatt based on beach ... no comparison - much better at the Westin.

Old Jan 17th, 2002, 06:01 AM
Nan

I've stayed at the Hyatt - the rooms are nice but certainly not what I'd call spacious. I've heard the same thing about the Westin. But then, how much time do you spend in your room when the sea is at your door!!

Old Jan 17th, 2002, 07:37 AM
Debbie

Nan-

Can you give more details on the Hyatt? I am planning to stay there next month.

Old Jan 17th, 2002, 07:48 AM
Ted

The problem with the Hyatt is that it is not on the beach -- it's across the street. (There are some beachfront suites, but I understand they are VERY expensive.) Still, the Hyatt is a beautiful hotel made famous by the movie "The Firm."

The Westin in the nicest beachfront hotel.

Old Jan 17th, 2002, 09:20 AM
xxx

The Hyatt's beach is very crowded with beach chairs. They are literally lined up side by side with very little space. Unless you like to be around a lot of other people you don't know, it is very undesirable.

Old Jan 17th, 2002, 10:49 AM
Rudy

You may want to consider renting a condo on Seven Mile Beach -- the further north you go, the less crowded it becomes. Great snorkeling too.

Old Jan 17th, 2002, 08:38 PM
Nan

Hi - I've stayed in both the hotel part of the Hyatt - the rooms were a little more than basic but not as nice as I expected. I've also stayed in some of the villas and those were very very nice. The main part of the property is across the road from the beach but if your'e a walker it's not a problem walking to the beach. There are also golf carts driving around frequently that will offer you a ride to the beach if you like. I believe you can also call for one. There is a building - not sure if they are hotel room style or what - that is on the beach. I've never been inside them but, as stated here, I've heard they are very very pricey. The Hyatt beach is small now and the chairs are very close together and it is usually crowded. Not really my ideal place to sit on the beach. The grounds across the road from the beach are gorgous. It just depends on what you like. For the best beach, Westin wins, no doubt about it.

Old Jan 18th, 2002, 12:10 AM
Bob

The standard rooms at the Westin will disappoint you! Better to opt for one of their few suites instead, I suppose -- or wait until the Ritz-Carlton is completed in late 2003!!