more questions about western puerto rico

Jan 5th, 2001, 06:11 AM
chris

more questions about western puerto rico

just finalizing our plans for a january trip to puerto rico. we've heard some helpful and good things about the Lazy Parrot, but we're also interested in possibly being on the water, or at least close to it. does anyone have any experience with the Bahia Salinas Beach Hotel, Parador Boquemar, Parador Joyuda Beach, Parador Perichi, or the Lemontree Waterfront Cottages? We don't need anything fancy at all, but are very interested in how clean these places are kept. Thanks for any information that you can send. Also, how do the beaches of the west coast compare to those of the south coast?

Jan 5th, 2001, 07:14 AM
Mariarosa

Hi chris! It's me again (I bet you think I am following you, but Western PR is one of my favorite places). Check your e-mail, I sent you my file regarding this area.

Jan 6th, 2001, 03:21 AM
peg

Hi Chris -- following Mariarosa around again..

You may already realize this, but to clarify: The LP is within 1/2 mile to 2 miles within several beaches, but you are correct, it is not ON the beach. If you do go to Rincon, ask someone how to get to Steps Beach, which is down a small dirt road about a mile from the LP. It's lovely; very rugged tho'--not much for swimming, but great for sunset! And, El Faro lighthouse (don't think I have the name right, but you can't miss it) is about 1 mile away and is in a spectacular setting.

As for beaches, near Rincon and along the west coast it is Atlantic, so beaches are rougher and rocky and waters are not that lovely turquoise. Still nice, but not Caribbean. As you get as further south toward Boqueron, the waters start mixing with Caribbean, and the beaches improve--if you can call it that--to less rocks and softer sand. We stopped at the resort near Ponce (name escapes me right now) and spent a little time on their beach. Waters were bluer and sand was nicer, certainly, but it was extremely shallow and calm. Not great for swimming either, but fine for wading. IMHO, the beaches along either shore do not compare to those in the VI (St. Thomas, etc.) I have been told the east coast beaches are more "caribbean" than the south.

have a great time!

Jan 8th, 2001, 04:24 AM
chris

peg-
been away and just got your message. thanks alot. since we are leaving soon, we've had to make our plans and we'll probably stay initially at Bahia Salinas. but we will surely venture north along the west coast as we both love the crashing waves. thanks again for all your informative typing. keep thinking warm thoughts!

Jan 28th, 2001, 10:44 AM
Sylvie

Hi Chris!
Just read your message asking about Bahia Salina Beach Hotel. If you are back by Feb 1, would love your feed back as we are going there for 2 nights, along with Parador Hacienda Gripinas, Casa Grande and Caribe Playa Beach Resort.All of those got great reviews in a local french guide.

Feb 11th, 2001, 06:45 AM
carol

oops think you have already gone on your trip but if you know anyone else who would like to go to rincon pr, my son has 2 really nice guesthouses in walking distance of the beach and on a hill looking down at the beach. quiet peaceful and just beautiful. contact [email protected] or call Tim OR Juliann at 787 823 6895.