Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   More Nevis/SKN Questions (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/more-nevis-skn-questions-551030/)

Viceroy Aug 11th, 2005 09:10 AM

More Nevis/SKN Questions

With the wealth of knowledge that I've found on this site, here's another poser. I've heard that some SKN folks fly over to St. Maarten/Martin to purchase fresh meats (beef & pork), fresh veggies, cheeses and other (fresh)food items that are difficult to obtain on SKN. So the question is (regardless of the apparent extravagance): Are there problems with customs, duties, import regulations when you land back on the islands with all these consumable goodies? In my experience there are pretty strict regulations in most places for importing meats, fruits and veggies! As usual, thanks for any info. Cheers, Richard.

MIM04 Aug 11th, 2005 01:28 PM

Many people bring in food items, especially from ST Martin. Many of the restaurant owners do this as well. It is all subject to duty. Some people do put stuff in their luggage which is not found, but legally duty can be charged. IMO it is sometimes worth paying the duty to get food which you cannot on Nevis.

Sunnyboy Aug 11th, 2005 02:23 PM

Many locals do this regularly. Just be sure to declare everything when you re-enter Nevis. They sometimes will not let individuals bring in meat (beef, lamb, etc.) that has bones and many times they won't let you bring in vegetables. Best to check directly with the customs people prior to your arrival for a list of what they will and will not allow (it seems to change from time to time). Be prepared to pay duty on ANYTHING and EVERYTHING you bring onto the island that gets consumed on or stays on the island. You don't want to run afoul of the customs department.

Viceroy Aug 12th, 2005 06:45 AM

Many thanks Sunnyboy & MIM. A fountain of knowledge from you two. Cheers, Richard.

Sunnyboy Aug 12th, 2005 09:32 AM

Viceroy - a couple of other hints that you might find helpful in your quest to purchase a residence on Nevis. As I've alluded to before, you should retain the services of a local attorney to give you definitive answers regarding the laws of Nevis. As a "non-belonger" you will be under close scrutiny by the various government agencies so you want to make sure you do everything "by the book". Better to get expert legal advice rather than rely on information you might glean from travel related web-sites (not trying to imply that people like MIM and me would intentionally deceive but rather space and time limitations mean some info could be incomplete). Also, as you progress through the various land acquisition and residence processes you will make the acquaintance of many locals and members of the ex-pat community who will share a wealth of experiences and information with you regarding the best ways to ship goods to the island, where and when to shop for on-island bargains, etc. That information will be far better than anything you'll get on forums such as this. After you make a few visits to the island you'll find that you are recognized by many of the shopkeepers and trades people and you'll find how truly helpful and friendly everyone is. It won't be long before you notice that when you arrive on-island you are greeted with a "Welcome Home" rather than a "Welcome to Nevis". I really hope you are able to achieve your dream.

Viceroy Aug 12th, 2005 11:54 AM

Thanks again, Sunnyboy. We spent a month on Nevis last year for exactly the reasons you mentioned. We met some marvelous locals and expats and are full of expectations that we'll be back for another month, sometime early this '06 Winter. We also understand that slow and easy, "island time" will dictate our progress toward our goal. Cheers, Richard.