Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   montego bay vs dominican republic (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/montego-bay-vs-dominican-republic-294790/)

doreen Mar 5th, 2003 07:38 PM

montego bay vs dominican republic

hi - 4 single gals looking to have fun - can't decide between the two. We are looking to stay at the following:<BR>1) all-inclusive resort.<BR>2) somewhere with good nightlife.<BR>3) no kids or honeymooners.<BR><BR>we were looking at Breezes Runaway Bay - any comments? also - anybody know of a place like this in DR? <BR><BR>Also welcome comments on Safety of the two resorts.

tivertonhouse Mar 6th, 2003 12:33 AM

Recommend Negril:Tensing Pen or Rockhouse on the Cliffs (RIU also since the packages are dirt cheap)or Swept Away or Jackies-on-the-Reef --all more appropriate than Breezes which is rather isolated. The DR, esp.all the Bavarro places in Punta Cana, is walled isolated plastic resorts/great beaches/but wall to wall package travellers with safety outside the resorts quite questionable. One needs common sense anywhere,incl.Jamaica's Negril, but the fun quotient is far higher. Go to jamaicans.com/bulletin board/Westside Wanderings and post a query ...

doreen Mar 6th, 2003 07:42 AM

thanks tivertonhouse! We will see what we can do - we have very limited time - 2 weeks. <BR><BR>Anyone have any comments on what to expect at Breezes Montego Bay? Is it fun for singles

JohnPH Mar 6th, 2003 02:29 PM

Would also highly recommend Negril. Fantastic beach and lots going on. Montego Bay is busy, urban and just not the same as Negril.<BR><BR>Swept Away is a Couples resort but also fine for four girls - a great resort. RIU is also a good possibility for you.<BR><BR>Tivertonhouse about has good recommendations.<BR><BR>

liza Mar 6th, 2003 03:32 PM

Do a search on Breezes MoBay....lots of reports, most pretty negative.<BR><BR>I third(?) the Negril recommendation....

RichF Mar 8th, 2003 09:21 AM

I don't know much about Breezes MoBay, but Negril is definetly the way to go. Check out the Charela Inn, Negril Gardens and the Negril Tree House. They all have the all inclusive options as well as Hedonism, Riu Tropical and Swept Away. You'll find there no comparison between the warm culture, people, music, food and beach of Negril, Jamaica, to Punta Cana's isolated resorts. Don't get me wrong, as a single guy the DR is great, but for 4 single gals - nah.

doreen Mar 8th, 2003 03:04 PM

Thanks for your suggestions on Negril. They look very interesting. However, we have booked Breezes Runaway Bay. Hopefully it is what we are looking for. I will have to try Negril some other time.

liza Mar 10th, 2003 02:40 PM

Breezes Runaway Bay gets MUCH better reviews than the Breezes in MoBay.<BR><BR>Not sure how exciting the nightlife is in ANY all inclusive though.