Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Montego Bay AI resort with 2 young Kids?- any suggestions?

Aug 6th, 2010, 04:23 PM
Original Poster

We are thinking about- Iberostar Rose Hall Suites, the Riu Montego Bay or the Iberostar Beach. We are going with my parents and 2 young kids- clean rooms, nice beach, snorkeling and good food- all are important. any advice? thanks
Aug 7th, 2010, 09:07 AM

We went w/young kids too & enjoyed the Beaches resort in Negril. We chose Negril because we heard Montego Bay was too busy and the noise of planes coming and going. Downside, Negril is a good drive from the airport. While we enjoyed the incredible beauty of Jamaica, we find Riveria Maya Resorts a far better value dollarwise so we havent returned.
Aug 7th, 2010, 11:41 AM

I also am going to suggest Negril. I just got back from 10 days there a couple weeks ago. It's an incredible place!! Much smaller and to me easier to deal with than a big city like Montego Bay imo. Yes it is a 90 mins. drive but well worth it imho. I used Clive's transportation from the airport, booked online in advance, paid the drive $20usd for the ride. Worked like a charm.
Aug 7th, 2010, 11:43 AM

I was sitting next to a family with younger kids on the plane. Those kids were WAY excited about getting to the 'water park' in Negril. The Mom was explain that they'd need to check into the resort 1st -haha!
Aug 7th, 2010, 12:38 PM

Suze, we went before the new road. It was 2 hours plus then on a windy bumby road. One guy even got sick in our shuttle(yuck). Beaches then would give you free shuttle service, I dont know if they still do.
Aug 7th, 2010, 01:09 PM

Oh, that was a while ago then. I also was in Negril in the 70's and 80's last. But the new road and all the excellent transportation companies working that drive make the ride from the the airport really a breeze these days. That also means you were there before all the MANY AI resorts that now line the 7 mile beach. Negril today is definitely different than 5, 10 or 20 years ago!
Aug 7th, 2010, 01:25 PM

Yeah the new "highway" is a huge upgrade over the billy goat path that once used to be. I kind of miss the old road, though as I liked Negril then (as I do still today) more inaccessible and exclusive than today. However, Negril is the choice over MoBay, easily and I have taken all three of my kids there several times.
Aug 7th, 2010, 03:36 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the info but I am nervous to drive that far from the airport. My youngest is 3- and we really dont want a long drive to the resort- also we dont want to bring carseats. Which AI is the best in montego bay?