Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   mistake to stay on one island in usvi? (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/mistake-to-stay-on-one-island-in-usvi-292434/)

pecugl Feb 25th, 2003 01:58 PM

mistake to stay on one island in usvi?

we are planning to go to usvi in may and were going to try to stay on st. thomas and then st. john but it seems to be getting complicated and definitely more expensive to do so. would it be a mistake to just stay on st. thomas and take some day trips to other islands? then maybe we could see st. croix as well, and maybe some of the BVI as well as go to St. John 2 or 3 times. also, do you think we would be able to get a rental car when we get down there on an as needed basis instead of renting for the week and may not need it some days? thanks, we are anxious to make our plans and reservations, getting nervous that we haven't done so yet.

resident Feb 25th, 2003 05:48 PM

Pecugl: St. Thomas affords you very easy access to all the neighboring islands as well as to the BVI with regularly scheduled ferries to STJ and the BVI, plus seaplane or ferry to St. Croix. The seaplane runs out of the downtown Charlotte Amalie area while the ferries to STJ and BVI run from both waterfront Charlotte Amalie and Red Hook which is on the East End. St. Croix ferry runs from downtown as well.<BR>I guess you haven't yet decided on where to stay but something on the East End is generally preferable if you want to be taking several daytrips to St. John,<BR>As far as rental cars, I'm not sure if they work on an &quot;as needed&quot; basis but check with them. <BR>If you go to www.usvi-on-line.com you'll be able to find all the ferry and transportation (including rental car company) information that you should need, plus a lot of information on the various hotels and resorts.<BR>It's VERY easy to get it all planned once you get here, honestly. Relax now and then come here and REALLY relax!<BR>

LPOWMAC Feb 26th, 2003 03:45 AM

Our family (me, husband and 2 teen boys) will be doing the same in July. We'll be staying at the Renaissance and plan on going to St. John twice and a day trip (probably on Linmos or one of the day trip packages) to Virgin Gorda to the Baths. I thought of staying on St. John (the most beautiful place on earth), but it was a bit cheaper for the accomodations, and there are more choices for inexpensive food (remember, 2 teen boys) on St. Thomas, near our hotel. One other thing, the Renaissance offers free non-motorized water sports (sailboats, kayaks, windsurfers and snorkel equip)... that'll be great for a day not to have to spend the $ for that for a day!<BR>Good Luck!<BR>Lisa

VAtraveler Feb 26th, 2003 05:36 AM

We just returned from our trip to USVI &amp; faced the same dilemma. We were planning to stay in St. Thomas and day trip to St. John &amp; St. Croix - until I realized that we would really not have enought time to do St. Croix right (based on advice from this board). So, we split our stay, 3 nights in St. Thomas and 3 in St. Croix. <BR><BR>We really loved St. Croix (less expensive, less crowded, more friendly locals) and enjoyed our time there even more than in St. Thomas. Plus, if you want to do a day sail to Buck Island from St. Croix (the highlight of our trip) that takes up a whole day right there.<BR><BR>I also recommend the seaplane between St. Croix and St. Thomas - it's a little more expensive than the ferry (and if you have a lot of luggage this might not even be an option for you) but it was a wonderful way to see the islands!!!<BR><BR>Hope this helps.

Cyclone Mar 30th, 2003 12:09 PM

Depends what you like. We like it laid-back and secluded so we prefer St. John, then take the ferry to St. Thomas for a day of shopping.