Search

Miramar VS Old Havana

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12th, 2005, 01:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Miramar VS Old Havana

My husband and I are planning to stay at the Occidential Miramar for 2 weeks. We are doing an air + hotel + breakfast package.

I have been reading hotel reviews on various sites re: Occidential Miramar - but they are all dated 2003 / Early 2004 (trip advisor, yahoo travel etc.)

Question 1: Is there anyone who can provide me with a more recent review / experiences of the Miramar? Room standard, restaurants etc.

Some websites state that Miramar is far from everything. Approx. travel time states 15 min to Downtown, others state 5 minutes.

Question 2: Is Miramar really far from downtown Havana and Old Havana? What is the approximate taxi fare? Can we take a bus?

I am just debating whether it is worth it to stay in Miramar ($$$ on taxi) or try to find a hotel more central.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Old Mar 13th, 2005, 02:38 PM

It's been a couple years since we were in Havana. Cabs are cheap, as I recall. You don't want to take a bus. The ones I saw literally had people on top of each other. Packed.

Sorry, I can't help with your other questions, we stayed at the Parque Central, right on the edge of Old Havana. Fascinating city.
Old Mar 13th, 2005, 03:18 PM
Original Poster

JEAN - Thank you for the infomation ... much appreciated.
Old Mar 18th, 2005, 03:51 PM

toronto73
We just returned from 6 days in Cuba and stayed in "viejo Habana" the old section of town and loved it We prefer to be where the action is.We were a 10 minute walk to each of the major plazas, restauarnts, bars, museums etc were all within easywalking distance.
Cabs are cheap and we could go virtually anyplace for $2.00 or less.
Since we were going to be on the beach in Mexico we didn't opt to stay out of town. Maybe you can you get a week at each place? If you want more specific info write me at [email protected]
Old Mar 19th, 2005, 06:42 AM

Hello Toronto 1973:

The Occidentaial Miramar is aproximately 10 kilometres from Old Havana. The cab fare (government taxi) will run you around $7 to $8 Convertible Pesos each way. So realisticaly, you're looking at at least $15+ per day for taxi. It does make it rather inconvenient if you want to spend the day wandering old Havana, then have a nap at your hotel, then go out to a restaurant for dinner. Doing this, you could easily up your cab fare to $40 per day.

I've been to Havana many times and personally, I'd look at spending a few extra dollars to stay much more centrally located in Havana.

The Hotel Parque Central or the Plaza Hotel would be nice options and if your budget allows it and you want something historic with a nice stately elegance, you might also consider the Florida Hotel on Calle Obispo.

Staying in this area would make you much more central to both the amazing areas of Habana Vieja (Old Havana), a great selection of sights, galleries etc., but also would give you many great dining opportunities as well.

Also agreee that you should stay of the busses. They're crowded, hot, and really not for tourists.

Fun ways to travel around in central and old Havana can include however, Coco Taxi, Pedal Taxi, and you can also take a horse-drawn carriage tour for a nice treat in the evening.

Have a great trip.
Steve

p.s. You might also consider checking out the Cuba travel forum on Debbie's Caribbean Resort Reviews. It's a very active Cuba discussion forum.

http://debbiesreviews.proboards35.co...cgi?board=Cuba
Old Mar 21st, 2005, 07:56 AM

Hi ! We have just got back from Havana and I definitely would reccommend staying in Havana Vieja. It is beautiful and exciting. Stayed at aboth Florida on Calle Obispo and Parque Central. Much preferred Florida. PC lacks character and charm. Other good characterful hotels are Raquel, Santa Isabel (expensive) and Ambos Mundos (cheaper). Check out all the recently restored Habaguanex hotels and restaurants. Beware the coco taxis....fix a fare before if you want to be taken for a sightseeing tour as going by the meter can be very expensive!