mid-march getaway?

Feb 10th, 2012, 11:19 AM
Original Poster
mid-march getaway?

I've done a good bit of research but thought I'd get your opinions. Never been to the Caribbean, but I'm a HUGE fan of Maui because of its scenery and the ability to either relax or explore all that the islands have to offer. I'll be traveling as a couple.

I'm looking for a relaxing beach vacation but in a location where there are plenty of things to do day or night if we get bored. I don't want something so secluded that I can't order a drink from the comfort of my lounge chair on the beach or by the pool. I also don't want to stay somewhere overly crowded and with a bunch of children running around everywhere. I don't want to be anywhere near a crowded spring break mess.

I've contemplated staying a couple of nights on each of the US Virgin Islands (I'm particularly interested in St. John, but I'm not sure if there would be enough to do) or visiting the Cayman Islands or Turks & Caicos.

Specific property recommendations would also be appreciated! Thanks in advance!
Feb 10th, 2012, 07:32 PM
Do you mean a month from now?
I hope not b/c most of the good places are fully booked.
Maybe you mean mid-March, 2013.
Feb 11th, 2012, 12:45 AM
Hi Jason welcome to Fodors.

luxurylink.com bookit.com 2 good places with lots
of availability. I too like alternative-hawaii.com
Excellence PuntaCana.com Hard Rock or Couples.com
Swept Away Negril roundhill.com or rockhousehotel.com
all good in Jamaica. St Thomas is nice usued to own a condo at magenspoint.com Pretty beaches good shopping St John nearby more laid back for beach maho.org. LifeStyle Resorts if budget travelzoo.com Puerto Plata DR.Usually find my cheapest flights down on spirit.com Independent trip cover always wise.

Have fun,
Feb 11th, 2012, 06:21 AM
Welcome to Fodors, the site with the most helpful info.

You might want to be more specific----Dates, price point, what you like to do?

St. John, Grand Cayman, Turks----all have plenty to do on and in the water.
St. John--2/3 National Park so having a jeep to drive to all the gorgeous beaches, hiking, etc. is key.
Cayman---beautiful beach, but very crowded, probably a bit more nightlife than the other 2.
Turks---Grace Bay, outstanding beach, but somewhat quiet
All have great restaurants.

Did you look at Barbados? That might have more for you to do. We prefer the West Coast as the water is calm & beautiful. Many outstanding resorts. As far as kids, we find that the higher the price, the less kids around. Probably has the most to do at night as far as music, etc.

A great site for many various price points

Good luck!

Search this Thread