Has Anyone been to Dominica !!???

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10th, 2005, 01:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone ..... future planning at hand . I was curious to know which of the " regulars " , and anyone actually , has been to " The Nature Island " ? I was interested in the vibe , impressions , feelings etc. For those who do not know , a dramatic landscape , lush foilage , exotic cove beaches are more important to me than the perfect , white , pristine stretch of beach .... I prefer small , intimate , off the beaten track lodging , places ..... ( etc. ) Thanx guys ! Faith .
Old Aug 10th, 2005, 01:55 PM

faithie,

I have not been there, but I have been sponsoring a CCF child on the island for the past eight years, and the pictures he sends me and the things he tells me about his island home - coupled with the fact that I badly want to meet him - have really piqued my interest.

The place looks just beautiful, and I have heard it is amazing. Lots of hiking, eco lodges and rushing waterfalls.

The greenery in the pics is just overwhelming. You can almost see it growing in the photos!

I plan to get there next year or at most the year after. I am also intrigued with the fact that it's one of the very last islands with an indigenous Carib population.

Be the first fodoregular to go and report back! (I am sure there is info out there and trip reports, but I haven't seen much lately - or even not so lately.)
Old Aug 10th, 2005, 04:16 PM
Original Poster

Thanx Diana , thats interesting . I also find the Caribe Indian Settelement very interesting . AND they actually do have very beautiful beaches in Dominica !!! Great input !!! Faith .
Old Aug 11th, 2005, 08:28 AM
Original Poster

Diana , take a look at www.beaurive.com ...... nice !!
Old Aug 11th, 2005, 01:23 PM

faithie, I have been to Dominica and it is about as off the beaten path as you can get. It is beautiful, no shopping, no night life, no big hotels. It is just natural and beautiful. I bought a ton of baskets from a local man who has a shop, his name escapes me right now. The towns are all just little wooden Caribbean style buildings. It is very exotic looking, more so than most islands.
Old Aug 11th, 2005, 06:39 PM
Original Poster

Thank You , Exactly what I love , Faith .
Old Feb 1st, 2006, 06:51 AM

Hi faithie!

I've been meaning to read your recent trip report to PV. It looks like you had a great time!

I just wanted to let you know I am planning to head to Dominica for a few days in April, and I think I am going to try Beau Rive. (Thanks for the link - it looks great!)

My CCF child lives in the Castle Bruce area, and that is where Beau Rive is.

I'm having a hard time finding much info on the island, but I know I will have a super time. I've heard the people are wonderful.

We'll only be able to go for a few days - we are going back to Grenada and the Grenadines again - but I wanted to see Kimanie while I have a chance, and I'm "in the area."

I'll post when I get back in May!
Old Feb 1st, 2006, 07:02 AM
Original Poster

There is actually quite a bit of info. out there , I just google away with all different titles . dominica lodging , dominica beaches , dominica small inns and hotels , dominica tourism ..... etc. etc. I actually found some great sites , and just recently deleted them !! ( I would bookmark all my fave ones ) Did you see Habitation chabert , it looks very nice as well , but is supposedly for sale . Enjoy the report and pics , a bit long .
Old Feb 1st, 2006, 10:12 AM

I stayed at beau rive in august and it was one of the most enchanting places i have ever been.
Mark Steele is an incredible host, the food is amazing and the atmosphere is unbelievable.
The island is so wild and gorgeous.
Wonderful hiking and scenery, but few sandy beaches -- go to Calibishie for a nice beach.
I also stayed at Papillote eco-lodge, which was also very nice, with wonderful hot springs. But beau rive is really in a class by itself.
You'll love it!