Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Miami to Havana (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/miami-to-havana-579499/)

grandslam Jan 7th, 2006 12:41 AM

Miami to Havana

I am a UK citizen wishing to travel between Miami and Havana in April. Is this possible and how do I go about booking a flight?

virginia Jan 7th, 2006 05:42 AM

well i just checked expedia and no it seems you can not fly from miami to cuba. my suggestion is that you search on a europeon version of expedia for flights from san juan,pr to havana and just fly there (to sj) from miami.
how lucky you are to be able to go there at all. it is one of my dream vacation spots.

J62 Jan 7th, 2006 06:03 AM

Puerto Rico is part of the US, so there are not flights from PR to Cuba. You can go through the Bahamas or Cancun.

virginia Jan 7th, 2006 06:12 AM

oops. well obviously j62 is correct. i am an idiot this am. lol.

JeanH Jan 7th, 2006 06:38 AM

Three or four years ago I was walking down the concourse at MIA. I was very surprised to see a flight boarding for Havana. That started me on a quest to get to Cuba. We ended up going on a 'cultural exchange' the next year and actually did fly on an American Airlines from MIA to Havana. I think there are a few regularly scheduled flights, but they aren't on US carriers. However, the current administration has tightened up travel, so my information could be wrong.

TomCayman Jan 7th, 2006 09:27 AM

You can fly direct to Cuba from Europe, particularly on charters, but also some scheduled service.

You can also fly on Cayman Airways from Cayman, which is only one hour south of Miami.

MaryD Jan 7th, 2006 09:49 AM

Nassau.

cw Jan 7th, 2006 09:53 AM

Also Jamaica. Try Air Jamaica.

pinkfloyd18 Jan 7th, 2006 01:18 PM

I believe Virgin Airlines recently started direct flights to Havana from either Heathrow or Gatwick. If you are in the US though, your safest bet would be flying out to Panama, Mexico or Jamaica and go to Havana from there.

As J62 said, Puerto Rico is part of the US so you can't fly directly from there.

Happy travels.

Canuck_at_Canada_eh Jan 7th, 2006 02:07 PM

If grandslam is already in Miami, the easiest and most direct way to Havana is through Nassau Bahamas.

The best bet is to grab any local commuter flight for the 20 minute hop over to Nassau, then a Cubana flight down to Havana.

Here's Cubana's info for their Bahamas office.
Nassau, Bahamas
Phone: (1-242) 377 8752
Fax: (1-242) 377 3460
Aeropuerto Internacional Nassau
E-mail: [email protected]

As she's from the UK, perhaps he/she might like to contact the Cubana office in London for further info.

London United Kingdom
Phone: 44(0)20 7537 7909
Fax: 44(0)20 7537 7747
Unit 50, Skyline Village
Limeharbour Road, Docklands
London E14 9TS
E- mail: [email protected]
They do fly out of Gatwick.

Have a great trip grandslam and enjoy Havana, one of my favourite Caribbean destinations.

Steve

CaribbeanSoul Jan 7th, 2006 06:22 PM

This is a perfect example of what a great board this is! That is some great information in a very short period of time! Kudos!

grandslam Jan 9th, 2006 07:38 AM

Thanks for all the information. I'll actually be spending a week canoeing in the Everglades so will need to get to Cuba from Miami. It seems that Nassau is the best option. Any advice on how long I should spend in Cuba?

Canuck_at_Canada_eh Jan 9th, 2006 02:01 PM

How long to spend in Cuba. Heck, it's a huge island, nearly 1000 kilometres long with so much to see. Much depends on what your personal preferences are. Travel and sightseeing, beaches, history and architecture.

If you've got 2 weeks you can see a lot. Highlights I'd recommend are.

Havana - The heart and soul of Cuba. Great music venues.
Trinidad - UNESCO world heritage site. Marvelous colonial architecture and history.
Vinales Valley - Great Nature preserve if you like the outdoors.

Remember, besides just running around seeing things, it's also nice just to take an afternoon and chill on a patio and absorb the atmosphere of Cuba and it's music. Son, Salsa, and cold beer. Can't be beat.

Steve