Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Miami Layover hotel (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/miami-layover-hotel-376028/)

wsm2004 Jun 9th, 2008 03:32 PM

Miami Layover hotel

I'm going to post this both here and on the US forum - in searching for frequent flyer tickets to Provo (as we have never used any of our miles and it seems wise to try to at this point)- a flight that might make sense and use only 25,000 miles would involve arriving in Miami at 2:30 in the afternoon and then flying out of Miami at 8am the next day - we would be traveling with our then 16 month old and all the other itineraries involve a flight leaving Miami that begins after 8pm - where she will assuredly be super cranky after 2 other flights - So, is there a nice convenient hotel near the airport? - does it make sense to go further afield in Miami? - husband and I have been to Miami several times pre-baby - so we don't feel a need to see things - looking for an easy hotel that is both nice (husband is somewhat of a hotel snob) and baby friendly - in a nice area to walk the baby around with a nice pool ? - thank you for any help!

CaymanSue Jun 9th, 2008 03:49 PM

I've had to do this a couple times using miles ORD/GCM. Surprisingly enough, the hotel IN the airport was competitive enough to be worthwhile!

caribtraveler Jun 9th, 2008 03:54 PM

We've done those layovers at the Sofitel near Miami airport and the Hyatt in Coral Gables. The Sofitel is good enough for a one night stay although not great. We love the Hyatt in Coral Gables. It's a lovely hotel in a lovely area, near Miracle Mile where are shops and restaurants. You can take a nice stroll that evening. Both hotels have pools.

caribtraveler Jun 9th, 2008 03:55 PM

Unless that changed, Sofitel has a free shuttle to/from hotel. You'd have to take a cab for the Hyatt.

A_Traveller Jun 9th, 2008 04:33 PM

Since all the hotels in the vacinity of MIA airport areyour typical "chain" hotels (Fairfield Inn, Comfort Inn, Courtyard by Marriott, etc.) and just "average" as far as room quality and amenities we usually stay at the hotel that is in the airport (http://miahotel.miami-airport.com/). Rooms are comfortable and fairly quiet. Price is competitive. It's right in the terminal so you can sleep a little later and it's just a minute or two walk to the ticketing desks (if you don't already have your boarding passes) and another minute to the security check-in point.

doodlesdad Jun 9th, 2008 07:27 PM

We've had a few MIA layovers and have had the best success with the airport hotel, too, with young children. I agree completely with A_Traveller; you do save a bunch of time coming and going and you should enjoy the convenience. Also, do find out what time your airline suggests you start checking in; I've seen some terribly long lines at MIA.

mymoosie Jun 9th, 2008 07:44 PM

It sounds like they've renovated this hotel. A couple of years back it wasn't getting good reviews and looking very tired. Glad to hear if they have indeed renovated as that certainly is a very convenient place to overnight.

spongiebob Jun 14th, 2008 08:38 PM

i would do a hotel in downtown miami (15-20 mins from airport)if good traffic. There is the bayside complex with tons of shops,restaurants, etc. There is also the famous Gloria Estefan's Bongo's restaurant across the street

Second would be Coral Gables as someone mentioned.
You can get very good deals thru priceline bidding.

ScubaMom Jul 3rd, 2008 06:01 PM

I agree with the airport hotel idea - we've stayed there many times over the years and was always so glad to simply step off the elevator, head for the check in desks and get started with the next leg of our trip.

The restaurant on the top is a good place to spend some time enjoying the views and having a drink or a bite to eat.