Need help please - 40th bday

Old Jul 1st, 2008, 08:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help please - 40th bday

I am starting to plan for my own bash for my 40th bday next year and need help. At this moment it will probably just be a girls long weekend with either 3 or 4 of us.

I want to do something beachy/tropical. My friends would prefer an All Inclusive. I have been to St John & Aruba but no other island...would consider going back to Aruba though. Would consider any island in the Caribbean or Yucatan Peninsula in Mexico.

I'd be coming from Orlando, FL the others from the Washington DC area (could be Baltimore too).

Can anyone help me with suggestions or recommendations?

Old Jul 1st, 2008, 08:45 AM
Original Poster

Forgot to mention it'll be Oct/Nov.
Old Jul 1st, 2008, 10:03 AM
MsE

Check out applevacations.com for their all inclusive vacations. I've done about ten of them, for a week each time, but they also have shorter packages that might be just what you are looking for.
I especially enjoy the Riviera Maya, which is the area south of Cancun, Mex. and the Bavaro Beach area of Punta Cana, Dominican Republic.
Their website has good descriptions of the resorts and amenities included, so you could pick whatever sounds best for you and your friends.
Our most recent trip was to Bavaro Princess All Suite Resort in Punta Cana. Beautiful beach, food was good in the main buffet dining but they also have several other restaurants where you can make reservations and have a special dinner or two during your stay.
There is also an upgrade package, we never got it, but it gets you things like 'top shelf liquors', 24/7 room service, and a private area with 'net access.
The applevacations staff is very knowledgeable and helpful and they are there every day for any questions you have. They were able to recommend certain shopping for us, and even had a van come and pick us up.
For lazing on the beach and having fun with the 'girls' this kind of trip can't be beat. We're going back, either to that resort, or another in the area, again this coming January.
Old Jul 1st, 2008, 11:58 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestion of Apple Vacations. I'll go check them out.
Old Jul 2nd, 2008, 04:33 AM
KVR

My husband and I just did my 40th birthday in April. We chose Cancun. We've been there before in 2002 and to that area many other times. I was looking more for a party atmosphere. We did the Party Hopper tour to some of the main bars. It was a blast. I had a great birthday.

Look at The RIU Las Americas or RIU Cancun. Good AI hotels in a great location.
Old Jul 2nd, 2008, 05:30 AM

Why don't you girls consider a boat charter in the Virgin Islands? It's a great way to see all the great places, at least time permitting. It's a gorgeous beachy place with lots of great people and things to do and see, or do nothing. If you get a full crew you don't even have to cook! Margo
Old Jul 2nd, 2008, 08:59 AM

If you provide a little more information, you may get suggestions that better fit your needs. For example, let us know:

1) How many nights (I know you said long weekend which I would interpret as three (maybe four) nights)?

2) What is your budget or your general desire with respect to high, medium, or low-end accommodations?

3) What kinds of amenities and activities do you want available at your resort (e.g., water sports (which ones), spa, nightlife, dining options, etc.

4) What kinds of activities do you want available in the area near your resort (e.g., shopping, cultural/sightseeing, hiking, bars, etc.)

5) Do you have any other preferences regarding type of island characteristics (topography, climate, level of development, etc.?

Without more information, the only initial suggestions I would make are to consider travel time/connections carefully for a shorter trip, since I doubt you want to lose two days out of four to travel. Speaking from experience, non-stop flights from DC/Baltimore are pretty limited, but there may be a few more options with packages that provide charter air (e.g., Apple) than commercial flights. Also, consider trip insurance since that is hurricane season.
Old Jul 2nd, 2008, 09:35 AM
Original Poster

Note about the insurance....DEFINATELY!!

I am looking at 10/28/09 for 4 nts back on 11/1/09.

I personally want beach but I know there needs to be some sort of activity for atleast 1 of the girls to do (she likes to lounge around but can only take so much of that).

Not sure about cost - I've never stayed at an AI resort so not sure what an average rate would be. Of course lower is better as long as we aren't compromising on the hotel (don't want a dive). Ideally I think if we could do btwn $500 & $600 pp would be best.

So far all I've been looking at are the hotel rates - it's too far in advance to look at flights--but I figured for alot of the islands I can always meet them in Miami.

I had a friend recommend Barbados, and another Curacao so am starting to look into those too.

I appreciate any/all thoughts you have for me
Old Jul 2nd, 2008, 05:04 PM

for your budget i'd suggest an all-inclusive near playa del carmen, south of cancun. check out www.locogringo.com
great beaches and tons to do: zip-lines, cenotes and caves, tennis & golf, snorkeling & diving, ruins, atv jungle rides, horseback, eco-marine parks xcaret & xel-ha and some fabu shopping in playa.
if you click on kvr's name she has some good trip reports on rivieria maya ai's.
air from dc is awful - suggest dc girls fly to miami, meet you there and then fly to cancun together.

there are excellent flts from orlando and dc to montego bay on air jamaica. this could be a fun place for you.
Old Jul 3rd, 2008, 02:43 PM

Curacao is larger than Aruba. The island features magnificent Dutch-inspired architecture in Willemstad. We loved tasting all the flavors that the restaurants offered. However, I think you would enjoy the Marriott, which offers an AI plan. They do a good job with their meals. Beautifully landscaped grounds, an elegant hotel, and Curacao really is paradise. It's a sunny climate, with trade winds and turquoise blue waters.
Barbados is lovely and sunny - the water and the beaches are great. However, the restaurants are so incredible that you need to do a trip there when you are able to enjoy the dining without doing an AI.