Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Mexico or Dominican Republic? (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/mexico-or-dominican-republic-159517/)

Pam Feb 11th, 2002 05:08 PM

Mexico or Dominican Republic?

My Mom and I (65/36) are planning a beach vacation for the first week in March. We've been on several beach trips together during the past 15 years (Jamaica, Barbados, St. Thomas, Nassau, Bali!!), and we've always enjoyed the time together. However, we have slightly different tastes, and I'm stumped this year as I try to plan it. Each of us has been on other beach vacations with other people (Curacao, Puerta Vallarta, Cancun, Cozumel) over the years. I wouldn't mind going back to Mexico, and I'm considering Playa del Carmen. Cozumel sounds nice, but it's special to my Mom and her husband, so I'd rather not go there. I'm also considering the Dominican Republic. I'd welcome your suggestions.<BR><BR>Here are our likes/dislikes:<BR><BR>Both - We both prefer low-rise hotels, with easy access to the beach and plentiful beach loungers where we can lie together with me in the sun and her in the shade. We prefer resorts with lush gardens and flowers. We're both concerned about too many raucous college spring breakers, although we're very friendly and enjoy meeting new people on vacation (ie, while chatting over cocktails at the bar).<BR><BR>Me - I prefer 4-5 stars, spa facilities, fresh and delicious simple food (fish, fruits, burgers). I have a stressful job, so I plan to do a lot of "vegging-out" at the beach. However, I'm single, so I always have the slight hope that I'll have a "How Stella Got Her Groove Back" experience. Truthfully, though, I'd settle for a beautiful resort and quality time with my Mom. I've never done an all-inclusive, but my Mom did one in Mexico with her husband last year and loved it, so I'm willing to try it. I realize that I may sacrifice food quality, but it's worth it to me if my Mom can be stress-free about money. I'm a die-hard runner recovering from a knee injury, so I was thinking about trying scuba for the first time, since I can't engage in any land sports this year.<BR><BR>Mom - She'd prefer an all-inclusive 3-4 stars (I'm not sure that I'll enjoy going as low as 3 stars). She'd prefer not to be the only person over the age of 50.<BR>She values the time with me, and would love it if her inexplicably-single daughter had a "Stella" experience (on vacation or at home!). <BR><BR>We're from NY, and I'd prefer not to spend more than 6-7 hours flying time. <BR><BR>Any suggestions? What do folks think of Dominican Republic and where in DR would you recommend? Do you prefer it to Mexico?

Beth Knobe Feb 12th, 2002 07:41 AM

Hello Pam,<BR> Being a Trave Agent I recommend DR highly. They consider it the new Caribbean. My sister in law flew out of NYC and I got her a great rate for a all inclusive there. If I can be of any help further please email me at [email protected]<BR>Thank You<BR>Good Luck<BR>Beth Knobe<BR>www.moon4ever.com

Pam Feb 12th, 2002 10:35 AM

Where'd your sister stay and did she enjoy it?

Lorraine Feb 12th, 2002 01:30 PM

I have been to Mexico and the dominican republic. Returning this year to the Barcelo Bavaro Palace in Punta Cana. A very nice resort with the features you are looking for and wonderful shrimp and lobster available every day if that interests you. Have fun planning.

Pam Feb 12th, 2002 03:36 PM

I was just researching the Punta Cana resorts, so thanks!! Paradisus sounds good, but may be too expensive for us. We can swing Bavaro Palace, so that may be the winner.<BR><BR>PS. I LOVE shrimp and lobster!

Pam Feb 12th, 2002 04:49 PM

Just found a great deal for Paradisus. Now I have to choose.

Tripper Feb 13th, 2002 05:45 AM

DR caters mostly to Europeans and you will find a ton of 'em there, compared to Americans. This will be noticable in every aspect of your trip from the food to the activities. Something to keep in mind.

pam Feb 14th, 2002 09:14 AM

We have been to Mexico several tiems and have stayed at Casa del Mar in La Romana - DR. We are heading for Punta Cana in March. I think the DR resorts have not been discovered by the spring breakers yet, so that is a definite advantage. The resorts are beautiful, grounds are spotless and lush, pleanty of sun, shade and chairs at the ones we have researched. Yes, tehre are plenty of Europeans, but the DR is making a campaign to attract YS tourists as well. We saw plenty of people younger than us (we are mid-forties) and plenty of people who were older as well. Unless you go away from the Cancun area, you will defnitely hit spring break from February through March. We were in Playa del Carmen last year at Barcelo Maya Beach Resort - it was beautiful - but we shared the plane and part of the bus ride with the Cancun bound kids....but the area is gorgeous! Don't let the DR scare you - it is growing in popularity by leaps and bounds because of its affordability!